Teby
"Guys" for...

If there is a group of people and all of them are female, can we call them guys?
If there is a group of people and all of them are male, can we call them guys?
If there is a group of people and they are male and female, half and half can we call them guys?
If there is a group of people and most of them are girls, can we call them guys?
If there is a group of people and we don't know the genre exactly, can we call them guys as well?

If there is a group of old people female and male, can we call them guys?

How can I use the term "guys" properly without discriminate and being sexist?
Are there other terms for these cases?

Thanks everybody! :)

May 30, 2015 7:48 PM
Comments · 2

It used to be that you would call a group of only females "gals", but that seems antiquated now. More and more it is common to refer to a group of only girls as "guys" as in "You guys ready for lunch?" or something like that. It is a fairly casual way of speaking.

Of all the examples you listed, the only one that I can not see myself referring to as "guys" is the group of older people. In that case, I would probably say something more formal like "Is everyone ready for lunch?" or "Are you ladies and gentlemen ready for lunch?".

May 30, 2015

Guys is an all-inlusive way to refer to girls and boys....... you would not use it when only addressing girls, but with a mixed group it is ok. Informal and friendly. 

May 30, 2015