wordsmith
Stereotypes - your personal encounter & views

Stereotypes are not always true in the case of each and every individual! However, for a few, they can be, to an extent- which can also vary, from one to the other! The media portrays certain groups (nationalities, race, religion...) in a certain way and many (not all) tend to believe such views blindly, without questioning! We all seem to have a lack of time to verify the authenticity of such views and portrayals, and this could, at times, be dangerous and undermine our views.

Not everyone, even from the same group, can be lumped together, even to the accepted notions, that are considered to be "stereotypical" for them (i.e., expecting all english people to like tea or japanese people to eat sushi, can be two random examples)! Each individual, regardless of nationality, race, religion and other categories that form their identity, are distinct and different!

However, what are your views, in regard to people that you have interacted with here on this site? Did some of them fit the stereotype(s) that are already established about them? If yes, how so? If no, how did that change your opinion about them? What is your opinion on stereotype? ...and I am not referring to sound systems or acoustics ;-)

Jun 3, 2015 8:31 PM
Comments · 6

Avoid stereotypes and judge everybody as an individual is the best advice I can give.

June 3, 2015

I try to treat each person as a seperate entity. I may unintentionally stereotype when I simply have no idea what a culture is like outside what I have seen in media. Because I try not to assume things about a person based on their origins I haven't noticed any stereotypes so far.

June 5, 2015

Yes. Some American guys have messaged me on  italki to tell me that they are going to come to Colombia and to ask me if I have any hot female friends to introduce to them as if I were a pimp. Also, other people have assumed that I have done drugs before, since I live in Colombia and then they try to give a  better impression by saying that I must dance salsa very well since I am Colombian (again ridiculous stereotype).

June 4, 2015

In regards to italki, I've been here for about a month and I have yet to encounter any racism or stereotypes. It's all sunshine and rainbows around here lol.

June 3, 2015

Apparently wearing a hijab is an indication that I don't speak English. :/ I got lost once in a neighboring city (I had an appointment there and ended up taking the wrong train). I decided to find a public bus and ask the driver for directions because he would obviously be more knowledgable than I am. As he was explaining it to me, a petite blond comes up behind me and says "Speak slower, it's not her native language."

It kind of bugged me because I've spent almost my entire life in Canada and my best subjects have always been English and French (I always score in the top 3). It's pretty stupid to base someone's linguistic abilities off the way they dress

June 3, 2015
Show more