Muriel
Learning Article : 8 Easily Confused Phrase Meanings In French

Discuss the Article : 8 Easily Confused Phrase Meanings In French

<a href='/article/458/8-easily-confused-phrase-meanings-in-french' target='_blank'>8 Easily Confused Phrase Meanings In French</a>

Knowing what words mean isn't enough to make sense of a language. Paying attention to grammar, being reminded of the context, and distinguishing between idioms and literal meanings is the key. Here are some easily confused phrases in French.

Jun 12, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 6

Bonjour Xavier,

Thank you for your comment. You're perfectly right. One should probably avoid to learn confusing things. Therefore, one doesn't need to learn these examples. What really matters is to let people see how important the tiniest words really are.

Too many learners tend to neglect them because they have the feeling that catching the main words in a sentence will be enough to let them grasp the whole meaning. That's the point I'd like to draw everybody's attention to. Because if you do that, you will often misunderstand the sentence.

I had an opportunity to verify it again yesterday: a student had to choose among several answers after listening to a sentence. She heard all the key words concerning the characters and the action... but she neglected one word: a very very short word that would let her know that it was a negative statement. As a result, she gave a wrong answer.

You know, it's like the tip of the iceberg: the most important part might not be easily noticeable.
Therefore, we have to resist the temptation to pay attention only to what seems to be the most important part of the speech. Everything is meaningful!

June 19, 2015

Merci Muriel pour cet article vraiment très intéressant ! 

Sur le danger des phrases qui se ressemblent, j'ai une expérience assez inoubliable dans mon entourage. La femme d'un de mes amis est néerlandaise, elle vit en France depuis des années et parle vraiment un excellent français. Elle adore apprendre des expressions populaires, voire un peu argotiques .. Un soir, alors que nous étions au restaurant avec des amis , quelqu'un autour de la table s'est écrié "Ah ! C'est délicieux ! Je me tape la cloche ! " ... "se taper la cloche" signifie manger beaucoup et avec plaisir , se goinfrer (l'équivalent anglais pourrait être, je crois, "to pig out" ). Mon amie a été très intéressée et amusée par cette expression, elle a décidé de la réemployer à la première occasion ! Quelques semaines après, elle recevait chez elle le patron de son mari et un de ses clients importants. Elle avait mis les petits plats dans les grands ... Le repas se passe merveilleusement bien, les convives se régalent ... A la fin du repas, mon amie décide de montrer l'étendue de ses connaissance en français populaire, et et lance "Ah ! Je me tape une cloche !" . Gros moment de silence autour de la table, son mari devient tout pâle, la regarde bizarrement, et les invités se mordent la joue pour ne pas rire... La raison ? Juste une toute petite différence entre "se taper LA cloche" et "se taper UNE cloche" . Car "une cloche" désigne aussi, en argot, une personne ridicule, pas très intelligente, qui ne réussit rien, un raté; en anglais "a loser". Et "se taper" ne veut pas seulement dire "manger, avaler", mais a un autre sens qui est "avoir des rapports sexuels"  (l'équivalent de "to fuck" en anglais). Ce qui fait que mon amie, qui pensait simplement dire qu'elle s'était régalée et avait peut-être été un peu trop gourmance, venait en réalité d'expliquer à ses invités qu'elle avait ... peu d'estime pour les performances de son mari au lit ! ...

August 7, 2016

Bonjour Patricia ! You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Je vous souhaite une excellente continuation dans l'apprentissage du français, dans toutes ses finesses ! ;)

June 12, 2016
Excellent!  Not only it taught me a few things, it reminds me how much harder I need to work on to differentiate all the nuances.  Xavier is right, this is not for beginners but for students who are at least B2+, this is an excellent lesson.  I wish there could be more of these coming.  Thank you!
June 9, 2016

Great article. It allow to understand the specifics and the details of the french langage .

You highlight on the possible confusion . Don't you think it will be not introduce some confusion ? 

In my process of learning english I avoid to learn this kind of similarity . I hope my mind will difference them when I will encounter them .

Do you thing a learner have to memorize them ? Is it usefull  ?

I am not enough skilled in langage teaching to answer properly. I rather to think it is not usefull to learn such a thing but whithout to be certain I am right :-)

June 19, 2015
Show more