[Deleted]
Would you book a lesson with a teacher whose profile is poorly written in the language he/she teaches?

I just came across a profile of a teacher who teaches English and Spanish. His/her profile is not correctly written in English, so yes, okay, English is not his/her native language. However, his/her profile is poorly written in Spanish as well (spelling mistakes and awkward sentences, which I googled and found about five results of the same sentences). I don't know, but as for me I would never book a lesson with a teacher whose profile is not correctly written in the languages he/she is teaching. 

How about you? That should not matter when it comes to taking lessons?

Jun 12, 2015 9:59 PM
Comments · 28

Alexander, you have proved your point quite clearly that 'many people in England can't write properly', as even your 'corrected' version contains a fair few spelling mistakes and grammatical and punctuation errors. Ellecute? Persons ability? So if your wanting? No offence, but you are hardly in a position to criticise anyone else's command of the English language.

And of course American English is proper English! Grammatically, American English is virtually identical to British English, and in some cases it is actually more 'correct'. For example, American English uses the subjunctive form in many contexts where British English sloppily ignores it.

July 2, 2015

Getting back on topic...

No, I wouldn't. If someone can't be bothered to - or doesn't know how to - spell or punctuate properly, it suggests a laziness, a carelessness, and a lack of organisation with regard to language.

Poor writing skills may also indicate a lack of understanding of the mechanics of the language. For example, if a native English speaker writes 'I should of gone' (as many do), it is clear that they have a limited grasp of basic tense structure.

In neither case would I have faith in the person's teaching abilities. I certainly wouldn't pay them for their doubtlful services.

The problem here, of course, is that this is something of a leap into the unknown for the novice language-learner.  If your dance instructor had two left feet, or your tennis coach couldn't hit a ball straight, their shortcomings would be obvious, and you would steer clear of them. Unfortunately, the elementary learner may not realise that their prospective teacher's sales pitch is full of inaccuracies.

July 2, 2015

"However I bet you my elocution of words is far better than yours".

Interesting.  How do you know that ?

July 2, 2015

If a teacher can't write correctly in the language I want to learn (be it their native language or not) then I personally would give them a wide berth (that means I'd avoid them).

June 12, 2015

As has already been said, a learner may not be able to assess whether a teacher writes correctly or not. When I look at a teachers profile, if it interests me I then look at their user profile to see if they are active on the site, if they do corrections I look at those to see if I can get a better idea of the standards they work to. I have seen corrections made by some native speaking English teachers that I, as a native speaker, would describe as careless.

June 13, 2015
Show more