Chantal
Language learning during stressful times

Has anyone experienced learning a lanugage during stressful situations in their life?

I'm currently a unviersity student nearing the end of an intensive MA, and I've been trying to learn Korean at the same time for the past 6 weeks or so.

Everything was fine, but now I have two essays to complete by the end of next week. One is almost done and the other is in the research stages. I believe I will finish them on time, but I always get really stressed out and start worrying that I won't complete them on time. I'm wondering if I should temporarily give up learning Korean until the assignments have been submitted, and go back to it when I feel calmer and more relaxed in general.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What did you do?

Jun 17, 2015 5:09 PM
Comments · 7

I am also really busy with university, so I do what has higher priorities - for me university over Korean ( 저도 한국어 골부해요 ^^). But usually I always try to find at least 20 minutes for Korean.

June 17, 2015

PS. My work is bery stressful. But It motivates me to learn English. I have to make my life better !:)

June 17, 2015

that's a good topic. I am 19 and I work 6days/week. It's really very difficult to find time and have motivation but I think that If you really want to speak some language. You will find time. Thats way I am here now, after my work :)

June 17, 2015

Thanks for responding, Richard. I normally don't review in essay breaks as I like to take short breaks of 10 minutes, and try to avoid mental work to rest my brain.

I think I was feeling particularly under pressure on Wednesday when I posted the message, but everything seems to be under control again now. I haven't thought about reviewing at lunchtime, which is when I do get a significant amount of time away from essay writing/lecture pre-reading, and I'll look into adding a short review during then. 

June 19, 2015

Mateusz - Wow, you sound like you're working really hard. Good luck with learning English! Right now Korean won't necessarily improve my life, so I feel out motivations are different. If I was definitely going to go back and live in Korea, then I would probably be more motivated.

Richard - That's a good point. I might take time to review what I have learnt so far and throw some fun things in there as well e.g. watching a Korean film with English subtitles so I am sort of practicing listening, but can relax because I understand exactly what is happening. Just out of interest, have you written/read things at an academic level and reviewed things from another language in between? Especially towards the end of term with deadlines or during exam revision.

June 17, 2015
Show more