Ashton
Contessa Entellina, Italian or Albanian?

Can anyone tell me what language is spoken in Contessa Entellina, Palermo, Sicily? It's an Arbereshe village, so I'm not sure whether Italian or Albanian is spoken there. I'm sure Italian is spoken there since Siclily is a part of Italy, but I want to know for sure. Thanks!

Jun 18, 2015 8:34 PM
Comments · 3

First of all,in Sicily they all speak Siciliano...it is a dialect, but of course people speak Italian!

In Sicily exist a small village called ''Piana degli Albanesi''(search it on Google maps) it is close to Contessa Entellina. In this small village almost everyone speaks Albanian (but also Italian).

A friend of mine used to live there (he is italian) and he spoke Albanian,like almost everyone that lives there! It is because a lot of Albanians lived there once,so they ''teached'' the language to the italians there and the name of the village become ''Piana degli Albanesi'' ..in English it means something like ''Field of the Albanians''.

It is pretty interesting,I think haha.

But in Sicily everyone speaks Italian,so don't worry. It's not like you eed to learn Albanian if you wanna go to this village!

June 22, 2015

Hallo again, I didn’t know the exact history of the Contessa Entellina so I answered you following my instinct.

Now that I read the comment above, I got information on the encyclopedia

I knew that Albanian language was spoken only in Piana degli Albanesi, but now I discovered that the Albanian influence touches Piana degli Albanesi, Contessa Entellina and Santa Cristina Gela.

The Albanian incidence has become so important that currently the official languages are the Italian end the Albanian but the first language is the Italian. In fact, at the school, they study Albanian as secondary language and the municipal administration uses Albanian only for the most important administrative documents.

Naturally they speak local dialect too, or better, mostly, I guess, but not the Sicilian dialect.

Sicilian dialect is e generic name to indicate the dialect spoken in the Sicily Region, but practically Sicilian dialect doesn’t exist.

For example, in Palermo city they speak “palermitano” dialect end in Catania they speak “catanese” dialect.Around Palermo people speak a dialect very clese to the palermitan, but a bit different.

The same happens about Catania and each city of the Italy.

Palermitano and catanese dialects are Sicilian dialects but the Silicy is not a dialect. It doesn’t exist, it’s generic word that contains all dialects of the Sicily.

Each city of the Sicily has an own dialect, a bit similar among them, but different.

The same happens in every Region of the Italy.

Anyway, thanks to you and Alexandra, I learned a new thing about Sicilian History.

Every occasion is good to learn something.

Greetings and thanks to you both :)

June 23, 2015

First of all, since you are learning Italian, try to write in Italian  :))

About your topic, I should say that in Contessa Entellina people speak Italian but, since in Italy there is a dialect form every 10 kilometres, sure there is spoken also a dialect very close to that one Palermitan.

I don't know why you thought about the Albanian language.

Albanian is another Country so Albanian is not spoken there.

Ciao

June 22, 2015