Teacher Suzana
Professional Teacher
How do you choose your tutor?

What is the most important to you? Maybe how does he/she look like or you prefer someone with a lot of experience? 

Do you investigate tutor's profile and read the student's feedbacks? 

I'm just curious. 

Jun 22, 2015 12:00 PM
Comments · 26

I look at a teachers profile, read the feedback and watch their video, but also I check their user profile to see if they are actively contributing to the site. I like to read answers that they give and read corrections that they make, if I'm not happy about the quality of their corrections then I cross them off the list. I think that "Answers" and "Notebook" can tell you more about a teacher than their teacher profile, video and feedback.

June 22, 2015

I am constantly booking sessions with tutors here, informal and professional ones! 

Feedback is important, how many students, sometimes tutors have lots of students but few returning ones and that's something negative in my opinion! 

Price: I have my limits!

Video: It helps a lot, especially if I am choosing to have conversational sessions, if the tutor looks too reserved, introvert and not smiley, then I won't be booking a session. I might be pre-judging but unfortunately it has an effect.

_____

One thing that turns me off when choosing a tutor, especially for spanish, is when they mention that they have a clear standard pronunciation and accent! The beauty of a language is when someone speaks naturally. I love strong accents ;) 

June 22, 2015

I usually watch the video first, because if I cannot understand their accent, then I might burden the teacher by asking them to repeat what they say at a slower rate. Experience is also good, although I find it important to know who have they tutored. Sometimes I worry about whether my hesitant and insecure personality can mesh well with another person's teaching skills. I am nervous, and I often find myself relaxing when instructors can smile. I realize that how shy I am leads me to hesitate when I consider asking for clarification. 

Thank you for reading. c:

June 29, 2015

Personality and interests. Is this a person who I would sit and enjoy a cup of coffee with?  

June 23, 2015

1. Price. It's very important. In one hour you can learn a little bit and for this pay more than 20€, you will soon bakrupt.

2. I prefer tutors more than professional teachers, because I need to practice my speech. I learn grammar itself. If I want the complete lessons with grammar, I 'd prefer the cours, not skype lessons.

4. Thats why, my goal is pleasant conversations. I'm more interested in a person as in the teaching methods. if I don't get along with this person, for me it's no matter, what certificates or good feedbacks she/he has.

I'm looking for tutors according to these criteria.

1. Videopresentation. The tutors without videos don't interested me. A video say more as a photo or profile.

2. Age of tutor.

3. Since my primary school time, I'm prefer more male teachers. I find, they are more open-minded, explain very good and they lead active conversation. But I watch videos of all tutors, and if I find good the female person, so I contact her. 

4. Native or non-native speaker depends on the language, that I learn. If I understand the

pronunciation, it's no matter native or non-native speaker, but par exapmle in French I have the problem, that I don't understand the pronunciation, and I'm prefer more native speakers.

5. I don't read feedbacks, because I don't believe in this. There are only good feedbacks on italki. And I don't believe, that all teachers on italki are good.

6. I can say, that I don't even read the profile of the tutor. What experience or certificate she/he has, is no matter, if I don't get along with this person.

7. The time of the lessons. Sometimes I see that, the lessons take place in the morning or after 10 pm. on working days. It's not for the working people.

June 23, 2015
Show more
Teacher Suzana
Language Skills
Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Modern Standard), Bosnian, Croatian, English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Turkish
Learning Language
Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Modern Standard), French, German