Leyla
Community Tutor
Native English speakers, do you feel yourselves lucky ? Share your feelings please :)

Native English speakers, Do you feel yourselves lucky? Because, people from all world want to learn your language. May be you do not pay attention, maybe for you it is common thing. But I think you are very lucky that your language is very popular, and you can teach, you can help :)

Jun 24, 2015 6:46 AM
Comments · 30

Yes, but there are occasional downsides. I remember once being on holiday in a very international location. There were people from every corner of the world there, all using English as a global means of communication. I was sitting in a hotel lounge having a conversation with my sister, but our conversation didn't feel private. There is nothing 'private' about the English language ; it belongs to everyone. Everyone feels that they own it at some level. At that moment, I would really liked to have had a minority language or dialect to hide behind. The other people in the hotel could use English as their 'public' language, and then retreat to a more 'personal space' if they want to sit down and have a conversation with a family member. You can't do that if your first language is English.

June 24, 2015

Not really, I would prefer to be a non-native speaker and live somewhere with a warmer climate.

June 24, 2015

It has a big downside because many native English speakers only speak English 

June 25, 2015

I feel VERY LUCKY.  Languages are hard for me.  If I spoke another language, and had to learn english, I would be a very poor speaker of english.  Yes, I understand how many people are working hard to learn English and I am very lucky.

June 24, 2015

Interesting point Su.Ki, that is a downside to English. I had better learn Irish so I can enjoy the best of both worlds.

@Leyla - Probably one of the milder regions of Spain.

June 24, 2015
Show more