Ali
Mandarin or Cantonese; can we learn both at the same time?

I just started learning Chinese, Mandarin, but now i am planing to visit Hong Kong, So I am stuck with the delima, Cantonese or Mandarin?

I understand that Mandarin is widely spoken in China and Cantonese is spoken in Hong Kong and it's neighborhood. 

If i go to Hong Kong and speak Mandarin will people there understand me, and would i be able to understand them?

Jun 24, 2015 12:23 PM
Comments · 7

If you can't speak Mandarin or Cantonese fluently, you can speak English in Hong Kong. I believe the waitress , the salesman or most local people in the street can chat with you in English.

June 25, 2015

You can speak Mandarin in Hong Kong. Whether they understand you or not is another matter and they would probably revert to using English if you are more fluent in English. I wouldn't expect a local Hong Kong person to reply in Mandarin unless they absolutely are sure you can only speak fluent Mandarin (and have zero proficiency in English or Cantonese). It's partly due to the city lifestyle and fast paced lifestyle.

I would say you are better off just learning Mandarin and learning a few Cantonese phrases just for fun. One type of Chinese is hard enough. Why split your time with two and slow down your language acquisition?

June 25, 2015

That's what i am worried about, two languages at the same time.....

So is should stick to mandarin?

June 25, 2015

Ali, it’s great if you’re capable of learning these two languages which are totally new to you at the same time.  But don’t you worry that you will confuse them, do you?

In my opinion, it’s not necessary for one to learn Cantonese just for going on holiday in Hong Kong.  People around business districts and tourist attractions generally can speak and understand Mandarin.  But don’t expect that each of them has a good command of it.  Finally, will you be understood then?  To some extent, it also depends on how well you can speak it?:-D

June 24, 2015

@Ali,

I am only now learning Mandarin. I already speak Cantonese as a second language learner. :-)

June 30, 2015
Show more