Olesya
English-Russian pronunciation training hacks

If you are native English who study Russian, I want to share with you some hacks to train pronunciation of Russian words using English words.

Yellow Blue Bus - Я люблю Вас (= I love you)

Horror Show - Хорошо (= Well)

Chess Knock - Чеснок (= Garlic)

True Bar - Труба (= Pipe)

Pale Man - Пельмень (= Dumpling)

If you know some more examples, please, share here. I think it is helpful both ways for English who study Russian and for Russian who study English.

Jun 26, 2015 11:50 PM
Comments · 14

I'm not sure about these "Chess Knock" is the only one that really works. The others will only give you something approximate. It's much better to have some matching text and audio and follow along. I also use flashcards with audio (check out forvo.com to hear nearly any word in any language), and I make correct pronunction part of getting the answer right. Listen, read, imitate is the way to go.

June 27, 2015

Boots are off. - Будь здоров! (= God bless you)

June 27, 2015

Thank you very much - Сенька бери мяч (Senk take a ball)

August 15, 2015

At first glance, this is clever, but I agree with neoflight78 and Christina about learning pronunciation with audio and not becoming dependent on a crutch. Though, that said, these little hacks could prove useful as memes on a memrise Russian course for beginners, since they encourage this kind of creativity while learning.

August 13, 2015

to neofight78:
Yes, I agree that listen, read, imitate is the way to go!
But I like the idea to find similarities in different langauges. This is fun.

By the way, I find one more while I was writing my entry about sport:

Cross of Key - Кроссовки (= Sneackers or Athletic Shoe)

June 27, 2015
Show more