Diego Silva
Burnout - Is "burning out" possible while learning a language?

I started this discussion here: http://www.italki.com/entry/574470 because I didn't know there was an especially space on this website to have discussions. Take your time to express your thoughts about burning out.

Jun 27, 2015 7:58 PM
Comments · 5

In the notebook entry you mentioned that when we push ourselves to achieve high performance and when pleasure is replaced by obligation, then burn-out is likely to occur.

I just want to say that if things get so serious that you end up hating what you are learning, do you really want them to get so serious? This is easier to avoid when the pressure is internal rather than external. At the end of the day, what counts is the result you get. If demanding so much from yourself works for you, then go ahead. If it doesn't, try something else.

"It is far better to succeed with small incremental changes and modest setbacks than to create a grand plan and fail completely." 

July 4, 2015

Awesome, Andrés!

July 4, 2015

oh i'm the same. just practicing is boring
but if you put an special goal for yourself, it definitely starts to become more intresting 

June 28, 2015

It is entirely possible. Like any activity that requires labour and dedication. The question is "are you motivated enough to overcome it?"

June 28, 2015

Hi Diego,

I wonder what you mean under 'burnout'? Exhaustion and diminished interest in studying a language?

I think in your case (I have read the other thread) the problem lies in lack of appreciation and enjoyable outcomes in learning a language. You need a sense of success, because you have learned a language, an appraisal. It sounds as if you studied so much for nothing. I assume you are still very young, so the time will come in your life when you will see that it was all worth it.

I find that it is important to have some sort of a structure when learning a language, to keep you going when you feel 'burnt out'. And a clever reason behind studying a language helps a lot against the burnout. I study German at the moment at the university. I feel burnt out every time I have to submit an assignment, studying is just very daunting. The moment I get my certificates, the moment I can understand a German movie or speak German with someone - I have a sense of achieving.

My main motivation though is changing a job and leaving to live to a different country.

A question for you that you should be asking is: what is your motivation of studying a language, why are you studying? To be quite honest with you: my love towards languages arose on the experience of living, studying and working in a different country. I know what I am studying for, what I am achiving, I understand that it makes my life more beautiful and I am on adventure. Knowing that, I experience exhaustion, anger, burn out - but it never stays for long :)

June 28, 2015