Clayton Davis
How did you do on the Italki Challenge?

i completed my first italki Challenge today. I must admit I don't feel like I made much more improvement than I would have in a normal month. Nothing too dramatic That could be measured. Normally I would probably do about eight hours a month, approximately half in Cantonese and half in Vietnamese. By the time I'm done with this month I will probably have almost done 15 hours total.  I think doing more classes did not necessarily mean I spent much more time learning my languages because I spent less time preparing for more frequent classes. I just didn't have enough time with other things going on. I probably spent more time than normal speaking if anything, whereas normally I spend lots of time practicing listening and memorizing vocabulary. One positive thing is I met some good new teachers I hope to find a way to continue to work with in the future. I don't think I want to try it again if it's 20 hours, but I might do it for 12 hours.

Jun 29, 2015 3:57 AM
Comments · 5

where is this challenge

June 29, 2015

I did the Italki challenge as well, it's true that I did more classes but I worked less by my own, I think I could take more advantage of the challenge if I had done more homework, podcasts etc related with my teacher's classes. Next time I'll do it in that way.

As you said, it's a good way to improve our speaking and find good teachers :-) 

June 29, 2015

I will prepare my self for next one

thanks for sharing

June 29, 2015

I was referring to the italki Challenge, that they hold a few times every year. Participants pay an entry fee and they have to complete a certain number of hours of paid lessons during the challenge. If they complete the challenge, they are rewarded with a prize: free lessons. The current challenge is to complete 12 hours of lessons during the month of June. Participants pay 100 ITC and if they complete the challenge they gey 300 ITC. I'm not sure when the next one begins; the last one was January to February.

June 29, 2015

I have done much more than 12 hours and I really felt an improvement in my French and Russian, especially French. I noticed that I need to have more sessions during the week than just one as I used to do! 

June 29, 2015