B'rynn
Is italki a good place to begin learning a language?

I only know a very small amount of Japanese, but I'm very interested in learning, is italki a good place for absolute beginners, or should I start somewhere else?

Jun 30, 2015 4:54 AM
Comments · 3

Pir is right. This site on it's own does not qualify for a good start. Yes, there are resources on this site that are useful but, they are more accessible to those who have at least some experience. I found a site recently for japanese and english speakers. It doesn't allow you to search for language partners. Instead, it allows you to ask questions about japanese or english. It revolves around the idea that, if all the hard work is taken out of asking the questions, you are more likely to continue. Natives (and sometimes your fellow english speakers) will answer your questions and often times, they will also give out tips about the language. If you are observant, you can ask questions and study the grammar from their answers. I would also advise that you consider listing whether you want a polite, casual, or rude answer.

The site is called Hinative.com

Check it out. If you need, I can also list some paid materials.

June 30, 2015

What's your budget?  How much Japanese do you want to learn?  Do you just want to speak it well enough to carry on simple conversations?  Do you want to understand anime in the original?  Or do you want to be able to read and write it as well?

As an additional resource italki is great, especially if you can afford a pro teacher to help you get started (can be very helpful when it comes to pronunciation; I'd say it's worth the money for that).  But if you're not made of money, this can't be your primary channel at the beginning of learning a language.  Once you can speak some, becoming part of the community here is very useful, but any random native speaker does not automatically make a good teacher, so you need to cover that elsewhere.

How much experience do you have with learning languages?  How are you with self-discipline?  You can learn much faster on your own, but if you've never done it before, and you're not so good at keeping yourself motivated, you're better off taking a class. Yes, classes are derided as old-fashioned these days, but for rank beginners they'll provide a curriculum and schedule and a teacher.  And these days there are some that are no longer ye olde grammar drudgery, but are actually fun.  After the first semester you can always ditch it because you'll have a better feel for what you can do yourself.

Search engines are your friend for finding learning materials and loads of information about "the best" way to learn.  Pro tip:  there is no best way.  We're all special snowflakes who learn in different ways.  Loads of learning materials are free these days, you can try things out and find what works well for you.  But yeah, if this is all new to you, let a professional help you get started.  Your next language you can probably do all by yourself.

June 30, 2015

Websites are good place for practice. If you want to learn language, you must do it in reality. Especially for beginners is better to go to cours. And if you have basic knowledges, you can buy book with grammar and continue to learn.

Even you have a lot of money and have lessons with skype teachers, you must to do more things such read and translate books, watche TV, repeat grammar etc.

June 30, 2015