Laufala
Cost of living in anglophone countries

Could native American, British, Canadian and Australian tell me the cost of living in their country?

I would like to know the differencies and do some comparisons :)

Jul 1, 2015 6:42 PM
Comments · 8

Hello Laufala.

London : Small room of questionable quality in a shared house in Zone 2
When you move to outer Zones room size increases but minimum room rent remains the same.

Rent                                      : £400
Food [cooking]                        : £100
Theoretical survival minimum : £500

Transportation                      : £100
Other                                  : £100

Actual survival minimum        : £700

Have a life                             :£1200

Have a life as an actual human
being that respects it own existence : £2000 +

The last two sections are arbitrary and of my own creation
but i wanted to throw them in there.

Also : Housing in London is a human beings worst nightmare.
Other factors are bearable.

Also : Did I mention housing ?

If you need more details message me i will be glad to help you out.

Note : London has a higher cost of living than other cities in the UK.  Keep that in mind.

July 1, 2015

London is very expensive, but there are other places in the UK you could stay!

I originally come from Manchester, which is an interesting city and much more affordable to live in.

July 2, 2015

As far as the USA goes, where you are living would determine the cost of living. You could buy a house with many acres of land in the midwest for much less than you'd pay in rent in Manhattan, New York City, for example. There are many cost of living calculators available online to compare the various markets. I just looked up and according to an article published in June, the average rent on a 2 bedroom apartment in Manhattan was around $3,800. By comparison, I own a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom townhome in Jacksonville, Florida and pay less than half of that for my mortgage and also have a 2 car garage and a yard.

July 2, 2015

I live in Canada, and it vastly depends on where in Canada you want to live -- Toronto and Vancouver are hideously expensive within Canada, but still cheaper than Paris, London, NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, Seattle -- Vancouver is comparable to Portland, OR.  Smaller cities come in a lot cheaper -- where I live rent is about half of what it is in Vancouver. And I live in a gorgeous place, 5 min from the ocean, about 2 hours from Vancouver, so if I want Big City culture, I can have it.  It takes about the same time to completely get away from it all, and be in virtual wilderness.

Here's a good site for getting both an overview, details about specific cities, and you can compare cities as well:  http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Canada&displayCurrency=GBP

July 1, 2015
Show more