Alexander
Learning a new language when you’re strapped for time.

Right now I am working an insane amount of work hours, and I’m finding it hard to fit in time to revise properly and arrange lessons. However I’m fortunate enough to live with 3 native Russian speakers, so it helps. A little trick that helps me to learn a language when I’m strapped for time is to listen to music over and over again in that language, whilst trying to sing along to it and pronounce the words. Now I have found this helps me to learn lots of new words, sentences, and their pronunciation, but obviously not what they mean. However the words retain in my head, and I then look up their meaning when I have the time.

I am wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks as to what they do to learn a language when they have a limited amount of time.

Jul 2, 2015 10:42 AM
Comments · 6

Download Anki (Flashcard program). 

Use it whenever you're lining up for something, on the metro, etc.

July 2, 2015

Hi Shawn,

That's exactly what I do. I can listen to music when I work, so that helps. When I get home I repeat any sentences I remeber to my GF, and she tells me what they mean.

July 2, 2015

Hello Alex I usually listen to mp3 when I am doing other things.

July 2, 2015

It will calm down soon. Just working around 16 hours a day :S. Thanks for the support :)

July 2, 2015

I think you're doing well. Probably you can't do really more in your situation.

July 2, 2015
Show more