Fravista
Need help with german

really i like to learn german but its difficult to memorize the words just like die das etc, how can i memorize them easily? 

Jul 2, 2015 11:48 PM
Comments · 7

When you go through your vocab lists, try to tie an image with the word.

der = a man (or something involving a man)

die = a woman ("  woman)

das = Something asexual (I picture E.T., the alien from the 80's movie)

der Traum (the dream) - picture a man sleeping and dreaming

die Stau (the traffic jam) - picture a bunch of disgruntled women in a traffic jam

das Dach (the roof) - picture E.T. (or whatever you choose) sitting on a roof

Do the same for abstract words

die Liebe (the love) = picture a woman and a heart

===================================

For titles, always memorize the masculin version and know that you add -in for female (most of the time)

der Leiter (the leader, head)

die Leiterin

der Lehrer (the teacher)

die Lehrerin

====================================

Other shortcuts: learn some common endings

most (if not all) words ending in -ung, -heit, -keit are feminine

die Rechnung (the bill)

die Freiheit (the freedom)

die Möglichkeit (the chance, possibility)

most words (if not all) ending in -chen are neuter

das Mädchen (the girl)

das Hähnchen (the rooster)

There are many more like this, try to look up what they are.

Once you get used to the technique I described above (assigning something masculing/feminine/asexual or neutral to a picture of the noun in your mind) you will be able to do it effortlessly when you try to remember a word.  I hope that helps, viel Glück un viel Spaß!

July 17, 2015

try duolingo, it will help you memorise words with die, das and der and much more.

First you complete the tasks, then after a while the app indicates you have to review some of the tasks hence reinforcing your vocabulary.

July 13, 2015

simple. when you learn a new word, try to memorize its gender too. do instead of writing in your notebook:

Fleisch

Tisch

Frau

you can write

Das Fleisch

Der Tisch

Die Frau

something interesting is going to happen: when you use these words again, you'll never forget its gender anymore.

July 6, 2015

I like to use Lingq. I really memorize the words really easily when I study there. :)

July 4, 2015

If you want to learn vocab or sentences, I would recommend you to use Anki. I'm learning Chinese characters with it and I can tell you it's really great for learning articles, prepositons, etc.

July 4, 2015
Show more