Stefan
Learning multiple languages

Would you recommend learning more than one language at a time if the second language you want to learn is similar to the one you are learning? Or should you focus on one more so than the other 

Jul 3, 2015 3:42 AM
Comments · 4

Learning them one at a time is a lot more efficent and less stressful, but at the end of the day it is a personal preferance. If both languages are simular then once you have one of the languages down then it should be a peice of cake to get the other one down! For my degree I have to be fluent in writing, reading and speaking atleast one other language. Then I will learn more in the future, I would get so confused if I did multiple languages at once, haha. Good luck! :D

July 3, 2015

I can see how people would think it would be distractive for now I will focus on the one but I am also eager to lay more groundwork on another in the future. 

July 4, 2015

I had been struggling with this question for years before I decided.

I think it very depends on your abilities. I work quite often with great linguists and some of them are able to teach and write grammar books of more than three languages. Frankly, this is odd and such a person is apparently a sort of genius.

Learning a language is a process for the whole life if you want to be really good at it. The most important question always is—what is the level and type of fluency you would like to attain? Do you want to use it just for simple situations like asking for a direction? Do you want to read books (novels!) in it? Do you want to sound like a native (why?). And so on…?

For me, the other language is always distractive.

July 3, 2015

Hello Stefan. Good discussion. I am at the same situation. Thinking about starting learning Italian, when I am still learning English language. Already speak Kazakh, Russian, and English.

July 3, 2015