Maggie
How much preparation a person need to become a Chinese-English teacher?

Help!!

Jul 3, 2015 1:49 PM
Comments · 8

It depend to who and what you are going to teach. If you are going to teach Chinese to foreigners you wouldn’t need perfect English for that, level 6 on IELTs should be suffice. Teaching English to Chinese people on the other hand, you probably need to pass level 8 or 9 for it. In the end, passion is the key for teaching. You can’t teach other people if you’re not passionate about it. Hope this tips could give you an insight. 

July 14, 2015

Sorry, have just noticed this thread and feel I must advise you that yes, there will always be many openings for native Chinese as English teachers within both public and private schools.

In particular I must say that native British English speakers, i.e. the preferred choice for most schools are few and far between. There are many opportunities for Chinese with the right English ability and qualifications :)

March 14, 2016

It is likely to become an English teacher to teach pupils in the elemenary/secondary schools of China   as long as you have decent qualification or certificate. But if you want to teach an adult English, despite I have seen several examples successful in my country, you must be quite skillful, amiable, agreeable or something that cannot be taken place by native speakers. Certainly, For students with  advanced level, it will depends upon how proficient your English is. 

In terms of teaching Mandarin, I assume your English cannot be too bad, at least can fluently converse with your students and guide them to learn in a more agreeable way. Still, it is contingent upon your personality, institution, certicate, qualification etc.

Good luck to your teaching

October 31, 2015

You'll be able to teach Chinese to English speakers as long as you have some good material and a decent grasp at English.

When I was learning Mandarin, almost all of my teachers had degrees in English from university even though their English was not perfect, they could explain parts of speech, tense, and aspect to me in English.

If you're wanting to teach English to Chinese people, you're wasting your time.  There are too many native English speakers who go to China and work for almost peanuts to teach English.  You can find English teachers who will work for $5 per hour in China just because they feel like it's exciting and they have no other job skills.

October 31, 2015

Oh actually I think you need a lot but not to much but you can never be to sure 

October 31, 2015
Show more