Manuel
English language

I'm trying to improve my English.

I have started to watch movies with English language and English subtitles.

Jul 3, 2015 6:10 PM
Comments · 9

If you are immersed in a language and you hear and speak it everyday, it is a different experience than learning a language part-time while living with your own native language around you. When you are immersed in a foreign language, learning grammar is less important. However, when you have limited time to devote to learning a language, learning grammar is essential to build a structure of knowledge upon which you can hang the vocabulary and expressions that you learn by means of reading, watching films, listening to audio, and talking to native speakers.

Learning a language takes time and attention, and when you have little time, you must spend that time effectively. I am a strong advocate of reading, perhaps because that is how I built my vocabulary in my native language, English. It may not teach you to speak, but it gives you a strong foundation for then learning conversation.

August 5, 2015

Manuel it's a good idea to watch movies in English, especially soap operas. I reccomend you to watch Genral Hospital or modern Family for example. It's also very important to talk in English. You don't really need any grammar. Imagine a baby learning grammar. The baby learn how to speak just by listening and talking. So it is not helpful doing all the grammar exercises like we do it at school if you don't really speak the language. You learn grammar by talking. :)

August 5, 2015

I'd check out "Whispersync for Voice" as well.

July 3, 2015

Good, but don't forget the grammar.

July 3, 2015

I just watched English movie before.but i can help me a little.i think grammer is more important.you have to spent more time to study grammer.

August 5, 2015
Show more