[Deleted]
Would anyone dare to admit that the main reason for learning a foreign language is to find love?

This purpose is considered tabu but people do often learn languages that give them no economic or any other practical advantage. But learning a language can be a good way to get to know someone.

I have read that Kazanova himself used this technique : ). Well he was a well known womanizer but people may not have the exact same reasons.

Jul 3, 2015 8:07 PM
Comments · 10

I used language to find love - it was in the dictionary just after "lovat".

July 3, 2015

I like this point Kazanova's technique. We say in Russia: to kill two hares with one shot. You can get knowledge and happiness here at the same time. When somebody will be married with help Italki, please, write about it. I adore a romantic story.

July 3, 2015

True. I'm here just to annoy women and avoid men: I'm perfect at this. I haven't yet found love on Italki so I'm still here =(   But when I'll find, I'll travel from Italy to Perù or Madagascar or who know where spending all my money.    DEFINITELY NOT!

July 3, 2015

Learning a second (or third, fourth) language is such a wonderful experience anyway and opens all sorts of possibilities, maybe even romance. Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong in learning a language for romance as long the student doesn't use a website like italki as a dating website. 

I agree with Royal Shiny that cheating and lying in romance is wrong.

July 5, 2015

Yes. I have chatted with American men who have told me that they want to learn Spanish because they want to find a wife in Colombia.Well, actually two guys. I thought they were kidding but both were serious about it. Even one of them was looking for a Colombian girl willing to convert to his religion. I was like "Ok. Judging others is not good." Later on, this guy texted me "I desperately need a wife because I am still a virgin". I thought "Okay. This is creeping me out. Just block and delete".

July 3, 2015
Show more