Nanae
What is your image of Japanese foods?

Hello. I'm a university student leaning about nutrition. I have a question for foreign people.

What is your imege of Japanese foods? And what foods do you imagine about Japanese foods? I think Sushi and Tempura is popular but I want to know more other things. Please write your opinion.

Jul 4, 2015 2:16 PM
Comments · 46

I know that Japanese people eat a lot of fish. Fish is very nutitious, high in protein and omega 3 fatty acids. Unfortunately, I don't like the taste of fish and I always wonder if people eat raw (uncooked) fish because the fish may contain parasites.

I saw a documentary on TV about some old people who lived in a small village in the north of Japan.

Their daily diet consisted of fish, brown rice and miso soup.

They had excellent health, low blood pressure, no heart problems, no diabetis, and no arhtritis.

Maybe the people in other countries should eat the same food as the old people because we eat too much salt and too much sugar, and 40% of the population is overweight. 

July 4, 2015

@Nanae - I love many kinds of Japanese food. I admit that most of the time I'm in Japan I survive off of bento and ramen. Cheap, healthy and delicious. I've never really liked sushi, and I've stopped eating it completely because it's made me sick twice (outside of Japan). 

@Su.Ki. - There's certainly nothing wrong with calling me a foreigner if I'm a foreigner. Maybe it's different in the UK, but I can't imagine someone from the US getting offended by that. Now you've got chen thinking he did something wrong when he most likely didn't.

August 23, 2015

Hello, Nanae. Would you mind if I gave you some advice about your choice of words? Please be very careful how you use the words 'foreign' and 'foreigner'. It can be seen as rude to call someone 'foreign'. This word means 'strange''/'different'/'alien'. I am not a 'foreign person'. I'm British, and I live in Britain, so I don't consider myself to be a 'foreign person'. I'm sure that none of the other members who have answered your question would describe themselves as 'foreign people' either.

I understand what you are trying to say when you say 'foreign people'. You mean 'non-Japanese' people. But it can seem quite offensive to  when you refer to all the hundreds of nationalities in the world who aren't Japanese collectively as being simply 'foreign'. A more polite way of phrasing this would be this

I have a question for people from other countries.

And to answer your question, yes, I love Japanese food, especially sushi and miso soup. I also really like the taste of ginger and wasabi. What I especially like is that I feel 'clean' after eating it. Some types of food are good to eat, but feel heavy and greasy afterwards. Japanese food isn't like that. It's light, healthy and tasty. Yum.

August 21, 2015

I think I would eat like a wealthy Japanese person every single day of my life if I could. My understanding is that the wealthier you are in Japan the more fish you can eat with less rice. It's hard to get really good fish to eat raw here in Central Texas every day but I try my best. :) I like the other meats and how they are prepared raw too. I do however have raw miso made with whole sea salt every day in a soup I make. It makes me feel so good! I drink Japanese teas and get Nama Shoyu delivered from the best company... all raw and the way it is made in Japan from the same company I get my amazing miso from. When I go to a Japanese restaurant I get sashimi, but it's too expensive here so it isn't often so it's a special treat for us. The thing that I eat a great deal of which doesn't seem to be too much a part of the Japanese diet is eggs... especially raw from my chickens. I also love eating seaweed even though I know I don't have the digestive enzymes in my system to digest it well like Japanese people do. I take enzymes to help me to digest it better. I make nori rolls but with brown rice and vegetables and fish sometimes too. I think the Japanese diet is the easiest diet of the world to adapt to be a super healthy diet and it's absolutely delicious. 

July 4, 2015

ramen. Thanks.

July 4, 2015
Show more