Present/Present continuous

I study maths(degree)

or

I'm studying maths(degree)

which is the correct option?

Jul 4, 2015 9:58 PM
Comments · 6

Just to add to Dorothy's comment.:

Yes, if you happen to go to the USA,  people would expect you to say 'math', as Americans do.

But as you are in Spain, it would be more normal to say 'maths', as you have done. Here in Europe, the British form 'maths' is more usual and more standard.

July 4, 2015

They are both correct.

The present simple (I study) is used for

i. a permanent or long-term situation

ii.  a repeated or regular activity

The present continuous/progressive (I'm studying) is used for

i.  a temporary or short-term situation

ii.  an activity in progress at or around the present time

In the case of a person who is doing a maths degree, either form would be appropriate.  There aren't many situations where the present simple and the present continuous have the same meaning, but this is one of them.

July 4, 2015

Hahaha Su.Ki., It looks like we posted at the very same time you saying that both were correct and me saying that both were incorrect! Priceless. :) 

July 4, 2015

In American English... neither. 

I'm studying math. 

I'm studying to get a degree in math.

My major is math.

I'm studying math in college. 

I'm a math undergraduate (or graduate) student.

You see... there are many ways to say it but here we wouldn't say mathS... it's always just math. I like math. I study math. I am student of math. I'm a math student. 

Hope that helps. 

July 4, 2015

Probably both, if you mean "I study math regularly", for example beacuse you study at the university. But if you mean "I'm studying math right now, in this moment", only the second it's correct. Btw on this forum there are people more expert than me, so wait other anwsers.

July 4, 2015
Show more