Bi Filof
Is it true that in United Kingdom students don't study grammar at school?

A friend told me it, so I'm curious to know if that's completely true. Thank you :)

Jul 5, 2015 11:24 AM
Comments · 28

Note that it is 'the United Kingdom'. You need the article.

And yes, it is true. At least, we certainly don't learn 'English grammar' in the way that it is taught to non-native learners. We don't learn the names of tenses, or do exercises in sentence structure, or memorise lists of irregular verbs. In fact, the average English native speaker who hasn't learnt another language probably only has a vague idea about what a pronoun or preposition is, and they would definitely have no clue at all what you asked them a question about the 'present perfect continuous', for example.

July 5, 2015

Damn Italy. Here we study the italian grammar like berserks. And you? You just drink your tea all the day! I hate you!!

July 5, 2015

Nor is it taught in Australia!  Many believe it's not essential (/a waste of time) to learn the grammar of your mother tongue because you learnt it "organically". 

You would be surprised how many "educated" people there are who have a very poor understanding of  grammar...eg. not knowing what a verb is, or a good understanding of the English tenses. 

Even as a language enthusiast who learnt English grammar voluntarily, I often struggle to explain why we use certain tenses in certain situations (eg I have eaten, I ate).  We aren't taught these things!

July 5, 2015

There is a reliance in the UK on grammar rules being internalised by native speakers, learned 'organically' as Adrian put it. We have lessons focusing specifically on English from when we start school at the age of 4 right up until when we leave when we are 16, but I don't remember much formally focusing on grammar. That suggests that 1) we didn't do it or 2) we did do it but it was at such a formative stage of my education that I don't remember it. Probably the former.

I would like there to be a bigger emphasis on English grammar in the education system. When it comes to grammar, British people tend to rely on what 'feels right'. There have been complaints by higher education institutes in recent years that some students are beginning university without a good enough understanding of the English language, so it is evident that this lack of knowledge is problematic. For example, I've lost count of the amount of times that I've seen a native speaker write 'I could of' instead of 'I could have'. People do that because that it is how it sounds in spoken English, and they don't understand the underlying grammar behind the sentence. With a basic understanding of grammar people wouldn't make that mistake.

July 5, 2015

200 years ago, when I was a student in elementary/primary school, we studied English grammar. I can remember repeating after my teacher:

go / went / gone

eat / ate / eaten

sleep / slept / slept

and on and on....

I'm glad we were taught proper grammar and propper spellling :).

Nowadays students often make spelling and grammar mistakes, and texting is killing both.

July 5, 2015
Show more