Holly
Will foreigners "love me,love my dog"?

There is a Chinese story name"Love me,love my dog","爱屋及乌”in Chinese.

There was a state called "zhou" in the chinese history.

One day, the king of zhou asked his officials for advices on deal with prisoners of war.

An official said, "i once heard if you love someone, you are intended to love even the crows on the roof of his house; if you hate someone, you are intended to hate even the walls and the parapets of his. The prisoners of war were enemies fighting against us. In my opinion, we'd better kill them all."

But the king didn't agree with him."I think we should treat the prisoners of war differently by differing them into those who are guilty and those who are not. The guilty ones will be sentenced to death in order to avoid future disasters." Another official put forward his suggestion.

The king didn't think it was a proper way, either.

Then a third one said, "Your majesty, I think all the prisoners should be set free and sent back home to work in the fields and support themselves by their own labor. Moreover, you should keep strictly the rules for reward and punishment and treat your relatives and friends impartially.The people are sure to believe in you if you administer our country by morals and laws."

The king thought the official's proposal was quite reasonable so he accepted and followed it.As a result, the domestic situation soon settled down and gradually the country became more stable and stronger.

The idiom is then used to mean that if you love someone,you'll love people and things relative to him as well.

Jul 6, 2015 1:52 AM
Comments · 13

I appreciare the sorry to both of you.I guess that is why peopoe need to keep communicate with each other,some people believe their culture deeply.

July 6, 2015

OMG sorry for that!

July 6, 2015

Hello Holly.

OK let me explain what i meant.
"Yes I would love you and your dog. (Is it a good dog ? )"

Meaning I agree with you. True love is an acceptance of all of the "things/attributes/experiences" that make up the person you love. So in essence you do love his/her dog.

So yes if I were to truly love you, I would love your dog as well. That idea I was trying to get through.

With the "is it a good dog" I was just trying to be funny.

No intention to be disrespectful or to offend you, or your culture, but I feel somehow I managed to do so, therefore I apologize.

July 6, 2015

If I make fun of Italy food like "pasta is for fat people", I guess Italy food lovers will not agree my sectence.

July 6, 2015

Well, my comment actually has a lot of meaning. I really have a good friend, but dat dog man. I hate him. So your axiom "love me = love my dog" it doesn't work. And I don't even love my friend, because he's a guy, so this is correct: love me = no. You see, this discussion has no point for me!

And Karl Franz is a good guy, dont' judge him. Maybe he really love you.

July 6, 2015
Show more