germano
the problem of safety on work

This topic begins from the problem around the high number of mortal cases present during the normal work activities. In Italy, even if there isn't much work in this time, the number of work accidents don't decrease. Even if the people work fewer hours than before, in proportion, this number tends to increase. Last year the mortal accidents were about one thousand on twenty-three milions of workers, the year before there were nine hundred mortal accidents on twenty-four milions of workers. There aren't clear reasons to explain this phenomenon. Somebody thinks that since there are many foreign workers they need some courses much more specific in their language, in these courses we should explain to them the correct use of safety instruments for example. Others think that there is less money to work in safety and the State should control with much more attention the factories and all the others company, no fines only but stopping production. Others still that there are so many laws that it's impossible enforce all of those, we need few laws but apply to everybody and easy to verify. I think so that we should reach a mix with all these reasons.   

Jul 6, 2015 11:45 AM
Comments · 1

The problem starts by ignoring the safety rules and bribing the inspectors. The number of laws is fine. There is a reason some things are forbidden or discouraged.

In most accidents that I've read about, there is always a large number of uninsured/ undeclared people (foreigners and locals) working without safety equipment in sub-standard safety conditions.

I won't even mention locked exits and other crimes, I will stick to what the average business does to increase profits: faulty outlets, old/unmaintained machinery, few exits, few lights, dirty air etc. From building sites and oil rings to cafeterias and offices, people struggle to work under sub-standard safety conditions.

Training and drills are good, but so are respecting the rules and bringing the people responsible for the accidents to justice.

July 6, 2015