Anna
Can you recommend any Polish grammar books?

Hi :)

I'm a total beginner in Polish. My native language is Russian and Ukrainian, so a lot of Polish words are very familiar to me. I think learning the vocabulary is not going to be a big deal. What  I would like to understand is how to conjugate verbs, build sentences, learn the reading rules etc . I think I need a "boring" and well structured book of Polish grammar, with some exercises preferably.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Jul 11, 2015 5:16 PM
Comments · 8

You need only basic grammar to succeed. I know Ukrainians who can speak polish fluently, they didn't need "boring" grammar. Find some basic books.

watch movies, talk, be surounded by polish language. it may sounds weird but you don't need to understand at the beginning.

Just like your native language. you don't think about grammar, it's all natural. 

And if you have some serious problems, then you can write to me, I'll help you.

July 16, 2015
November 25, 2015

You should try this site, in Polish and English:

http://grzegorj.w.interia.pl/gram/gram00.html

I must say, that for an Ukrainian or Russian speaker, Polish seems to be easy and vice versa. But only in the beginning, I was learning Ukrainian and Russian for a while and I understand both pretty well, I am able to write and speak but it is pretty hard to achieve some bigger proficiency after taking the rudiments.

July 22, 2015

Kamil,
Thanks for your kind offer :)
I sometimes think about grammar in my native language :) Maybe I am that kind of person who likes learning the rules, I don't know. From my experience with learning English and French I find that learning grammar is very helpful. Although they are not Slavic languages, and it might be different with Polish indeed, it is very similar to Russian, but on the other hand there are differences that you should be aware of. I absolutely agree that watching movies and being surrounded by the language is the best way to learn it.

July 16, 2015

Thank you so much for your advice everyone. Now I have somewhere to start from.

July 16, 2015
Show more