Yannick
Does your country accept dual nationality? What do you think of it?

I originally come from China and currently live in Canada. I've recently just noticed an interesting phenomenon.Many friends of mine want to go back to China  after changing their nationalities. Unfortunately,they are now visitors to China,just like other foreigners who has to leave China every 3 or 6 months.

According to China Nationality Law,China doesn't recognize dual nationality,that means they will never become a Chinese citizen again. Likewise,their Chinese citizen status will be revoked  as long as they enter China with a Canadian passport. To be honest,I'm a little bit sad about  the restriction of citizenship.

As far as I know, there are many countries that accept dual citizenship or multiple nationality,do you think this is a good thing?

Jul 13, 2015 6:02 PM
Comments · 9

I think dual citizenship is a great thing because it builds mutual trust between countries which leads to stronger business and political relationships. China is too closed off with the rest of the world. I think it is just a matter of time until China starts accepting dual citizenship because the government knows that most Chinese people who leave for a while actually want to go back.

July 31, 2015

I think you shoul divide terms "nationality" and "citizenship": you are unable to change your nationality, but your citizenship can be changed. However, I understand and agree with all bans and restrictions on dual and multi-citizenship. Almost every state has a concept of "national interests", and very often having a dual citizenship doesn't match to this concept. For example, do you now the text of the oath of loyalty, when anyone is getting the citizenship of the USA? I googled it: "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;
that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic" and so on.

July 15, 2015

Indonesia currently doesn't, but after many years of citizen word-of-mouth efforts, I think next year a proposal will reach the government and president about dual citizenship. I would LOVE that. I might do dual Indonesian-American, but there's no way I'm giving up my Indonesian citizenship. If I had to choose one, like your friends, I'd choose my motherland.

July 15, 2015

In my country there are plenty of people who have 2 or 3 nationalities. Europe is an area devided into many little states, so it is very common to be born in a state and live in an other one, or to have your father from there, and your mother from somewhere else. There are also people who are french-israeli, for religion reasons...

in the other side the New World countries are land of emigration. Almost all their inhabitants are inmigrants, so it is also logical to have people with several nationalities.

this different factors explain the fact that it is part of the western culture to admit the pluri-citizenship.

July 15, 2015

word up!

July 15, 2015
Show more