Lauricia
What do you think about uncommon languages?

Of course people always wish to learn a language that might be most useful for work or pleasure, but what about the uncommon languages of the world like Finnish, Icelandic or Greenlandic?  I have always had a fascination with these as once learned, it's like having a huge piece of history rolling off of your tongue.  Many of these uncommon languages are very old and have ancient roots, are rich in culture and have very profound history.  Not only this, but it's a bit neat to be able to speak an uncommon language as when you find someone else who happens to speak it, it's all the more exciting (not to mention that the chances of others understanding you are slimmer, making for your own 'secret' language). :)  

Jul 14, 2015 7:39 PM
Comments · 14

I started to learn Finnish, but I didn't finish.  Icelandic leaves me cold, and I'm just a greenhorn at Greenlandic.

August 17, 2015

I started learning a language purely for enjoyment and not because it would be particularly <em>useful</em> in any way. I think opening yourself up to a new language allows you to become a more understanding person. It helps you see the world through a fresh pair of eyes and get a glimpse into a culture that is different from your own. It is like traveling without even having to leave your home. There is this novel beauty of learning that is incomparable with anything else. For me, I think it keeps a part of me in a constant state of discovery, like a child, and brings the wonder back to life.

August 17, 2015

It's all about your personal taste. You have to be really into it to learn whatever language you choose to learn. What motivates me the most is not what would be the most useful option or the most popular one, but what appeals to me the most.

July 14, 2015

I like that idea. I plan to learn icelandic someday, not only because of the language itself but because the both the country and the people are amazing. 

July 14, 2015

They are cool and if we lived for, say, 500 years instead of 80, I'd have got acquainted with them all!

August 17, 2015
Show more