[Deleted]
Learning Article : Serbian Phonetic System: The Secret Workings You Won't Find In Your Textbooks: Part 2

Discuss the Article : Serbian Phonetic System: The Secret Workings You Won't Find In Your Textbooks: Part 2

<a href='/article/488/serbian-phonetic-system-the-secret-workings-you-wont-find-in-your-textbooks-part-2' target='_blank'>Serbian Phonetic System: The Secret Workings You Won't Find In Your Textbooks: Part 2</a>

In this article I explain the sounds of the Serbian language, focusing on those usually difficult to pronounce. The explanations also apply to Bosnian and Croatian.

Jul 15, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 2

Thank you again, Magdalena!

Your articles are always very interesting to read and I always learn something new!

July 16, 2015
Hvala puno! I love the breakdown you provided. I know that for English native speakers (like me) Slavic palatalized/soft consonants are a real challenge. (I originally learned the concept in Russian, but I could apply the principle in Serbian, as well.)

I was originally told to pronounce the consonant plus a /j/, but that always came out like two separate consonants. I got better when I was told to lift the center of the tongue while pronouncing the consonant as normal.

Would it be better to call "alveolar" the consonants you call "palatal"? That way, you can refer to the "softening" as "palatalization," which makes more intuitive sense to me. I'm not sure if that's too technical for most students, however.

Keep it up! I love reading Serbian articles. I hope to see a lot more from you :)
April 23, 2020