Gerald
problems with japanese language partners

I'm having the same kind of problem for a while now, and I wanted to share with you all.

I've been trying really hard to find japanese language partners, but every single time this is what happens:

1) I make a polite and friendly contact saying I wish to be their language partner

2) If there's something on their profile that is of our mutual interest, I talk about that

3) They reply back saying that they will be happy to be my partner.

4) I reply back, thanking for the kind return, and make a language related question

5) They never reply back.

Every.

Single. 
Time.

Should I do something different? What do you think?

Jul 17, 2015 4:59 PM
Comments · 65

Hello. I'm japanese. So I wanted to write down my opinion.

1, when I started to learn english, I thought I have to speak English very correctly otherwise native English peoples cant understand the English we speak. 

2,we have to studied it since jr high. But only writting. So we are very very afraid to talk with native English speaker In English.

3, most of Japanese peoples are very shy to speak English.Of course some are not. 

i hope you will able to find nice language exchange buddy so soon:)

July 18, 2015

I think it would be easier to find conversation partners through discussions, answering questions and correcting notebooks instead of rather using the language partner section of this website, which seems like that is what you're doing. Then you know who the serious learners are from the casual ones.

July 18, 2015

@Silmendil 私は英語が下手だから、うまく説明できないけど、最低限の勉強をしないでまったく異質の言語を教えろ、は無理でしょう、という意味です。 スペイン語話者が英語を使うのと日本語話者の英語は比べ物になりません。 一方、日本語話者は中国語を誰でも50%は読めるでしょう。 中国人と日本人は筆談しながら言語交換できます。 Silmendil さんのように筆談できるかたなら言語交換は可能でしょう。 まったく勉強しないで口を開けて誰か教えてよ、は神経を逆撫でしますね。文化の違い、言語習得の目的の違いかもしれません。 

July 28, 2015

Dorothy thank you for your comment.

as you know japan is island and all of Japanese can speak Japanese. So for us it's very rare that people's can't communicate with peoples in Japanese . but in U.S., many peoples who lives in U.S. is not native English speaker. So native speaker doesn't mind even they can't speak English very correctly. 

we have no chance to talk something in English. that's why it's very nervous to talk to English native speakers......

please understand we do want to talk to non Japanese people's. Just has no confidence.

July 18, 2015

It is very emotive to see comments in Japanese out of the section asking for corrections. I myself tried to open a topic in Japanese yesterday, but got no answers. ╭(╯^╰)╮

Even so, since this topic was opened in English, maybe is not a good idea to change now the language.

In few words, Saburo, who is not good at English, is saying that ① to make a language exchange you must have studied at least a bit (when it comes to Japanese, it is much more than a bit, I would add), and ② lots of guys which pretend to study Japanese just want to chase japanese girls.

July 28, 2015
Show more