Panther
How are you measuring your progress in Japanese?

For those of you that are also studying by yourself, do you mind sharing how you are measuring your progress?

Let me start first. I am tracking vocabulary learned on daily basis. I try to learn at least 10-20 new words a day. I am currently at

N5 875/1230 

N4 583/1245

N3 99/3438

I track the above numbers daily.

P.S. all of the above are half kanji and half hiragana so really the counts should be divided by two for new words learned.

I've found tracking helps me stay motivated. I know if I just keep marching forward, I will eventually reach the goal.

But I am having a harder time to come up with daily measurement for other areas such as grammar, conversation skills, fluency, etc.

Sometimes, I felt after a conversation or a class I had a weired feeling of whether I actaully made progress, learned something or just repeated something I arleady know. 

Let me know your thoughts or perhaps, you have other ideas for staying steadily motivated!

Thank you!

Jul 17, 2015 9:31 PM
Comments · 9

@Chris I strongly agree. Motivation is a temporary remedy, it's not reliable. We have to develop habits instead of counting on motivation to progress

July 18, 2015

???

Knowledge of language can't be measured. Yes, you can say: I kind of remember 1000 kanji. But on which circumstances? For example, you can remember a certain kanji when studying, but when it pops up in a conversation or in a written medium, you can forget them easily.

You shouldn't focus on numbers. I already did that in the past and it was really useless. Read and practice the real language.

July 29, 2015

Hi Panther

Sorry, this isn't an answer to your question but can I ask you where you found that list of N5/4/3 words?I have found a list of words divided in JLPT level 5/4/... but it only puts 500 words in level 5 and 4... I thought these lists were all the same. 

Thank you :)

July 26, 2015

That's an interesting idea, I'll start tracking some numbers as well. Thanks!

July 17, 2015

みなさん、お疲れ様です。

VincentさんのJLPTテストと
Chrisさんの習慣形成と
Silmendiもさんのよく練習も
良い提案です。

ありがとございました。

三月前に日本語を勉強することがはじめました。

一生懸命に勉強したいです。

よろしくお願いします。

July 29, 2015
Show more