[Deleted]
Suggestions for a beginner

Hello all! I have started learning French on Duolingo. I am so excited. :) I am quite new to this language, so I need your suggestions. I learned some basics such as bonjour, ça va, merci... Do you think it is a good idea to practice with someone at this level? I don't feel confident with speaking now and I will use google translate a lot if I have a penpal. What is your opinion about it?

Jul 21, 2015 7:44 PM
Comments · 10

Don't stay too much time just in Duolingo, talk to someone. Get a phrasebook and make a basic script for your first conversation (Hi, how are you, what's your name, where are you from, etc). It will be awkward, it will last 2 minutes, but it works.

Add more phrases, use Memrise and teach yourself 10 words per day, but try to use them in your next conversation.

It all sounds a little fake at the beginning, but soon you'll get much better.

Good luck!

July 21, 2015

@Özge don't be "almost" sure it will be akward. Be positively sure of it. Now, you have absolutely nothing to lose, so just go for it :D

July 22, 2015

I prefer Memrise that is useful, or any other similar one is good. I like these videos https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=french+essentials+alexa She has many man!

July 22, 2015

if you do have someone who you can practise with, it's a wonderful opprtunity to try communicating. Frankly you might not be able to say much, but you will learn a great deal of new vocabularies and phrases. Google translator will help you communicating at that instance though, but i think what is most important is learning what was translated, and try to add it in your practise.

Bonne chance!

July 21, 2015

Bonjour Özge,

Je te conseille aussi vivement Wordreference which is a very good online dictionnary.

Installe aussi Readlang : this app offers you a direct translation on your browser, as soon as you click on a word. You can also save texts on their websites and translate them, improve your skills, really useful !

Gerald has a nice spirit. Yes, just go for it and don't be afraid of making mistakes : this is how you're going to improve ! If you do not know Benny's website, you should check it:http://www.fluentin3months.com  it has some great articles that gives you wonderful inspiration and a few great tools pour parler la langue de tes rêves :)

Amuse-toi et n'hésite pas à poser tes questions.

July 24, 2015
Show more