elle089
*Way Beyond Weight* A documentary about obesity among children in Brazil

Hello, everyone!
I'm currently learning Brazilian Portuguese and I try to learn about Brazilian culture, everyday life as much as possible it is to do through Internet only. From time to time I watch documentaries about Brazil, for example one of my favorite documentaries ever is Waste land ( if you haven't seen yet -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNlwh8vT2NU).

Recently I've stumble upon a documentary about obesity in Brazil, Way Beyond Weight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8N65getIYI great documentary, unfortunately, obesity is a global problem now . Though somehow I didn't expect it to be a problem in Brazil, as I assume that children in Brazil eat a lot of fruits and vegetable and aren't that exposed to junk food. Unfortunately, the documentary shows completely different picture of Brazil.
How accurate this movie in your opinion?

For example, 50:00 minute - the ladies are saying that they don't have access to fruits and vegetable and rarely eat them. Do you think its true? I lived in different parts of Russia, even when I lived in the polar region I had access to fruits and vegetable, not cheap, but considering the remoteness the prices are reasonable. Even Brazilian mangos and other exotic fruits were available ( I think, the price for 1 peace of mango were around 3-7 dollar ). I ve just got Brazilian mangos from a local supermarket (in Moscow) for 1,2 dollar a piece.
So, in my imagination in Brazil fruits are everywhere, cheap and accessible.

How bad is this problem? Is this true that in some part people don't have access to fruits and vegetable?

Elle

Jul 21, 2015 10:16 PM
Comments · 16

I really think that's not accurate, and brazillian obesity is much more a reflex of our poor education than our lack of resources. It is possible to have an amazing diet in Brazil and not spend too much on it. In here you'll find the following with good prices:

Beans (amazing food for protein, iron and energy)

Rice

Chicken (all parts are cheap)

Pork (you can buy shoulder and legs very cheap)

Meet (in general cow meet is expensive, but brisket and other "second rate" cuts are as cheap as pork)

Eggs

Kale

Banana

Carrots

Celery

Brazil is a notoriously expensive country for many things, and I'm usually the first to complain about it. But for a basic healthy diet? Blame it on the education.

July 21, 2015

Hi, interesting topic! I watched a bit of the documentary but not the whole video so I'll opine based on what I watched and my point of view. Seems like they show two realities. The Brazilians who are middle-class and the poor ones, unfortunately the poor ones have no access to vegetables and fruits, if they don't grow it. They end up eating rice, beans and " farinha " which is so fat but makes one feel full after the meal hehe. I watched exactly at the time you mentioned, that is a typical poor family that has to go to the nearest city in order to get things so you can understand how difficult it can be to them.

As they mentioned a hispanic man talking about the prices of the healthy fruits, that's the reality. Healthy food is way more expensive than funkie food, so a lot of low-class people in Brazil will prefer to eat different types of pasta! 

July 21, 2015

The obesity is a cultural problem, sometimes the people buy fruits in order to make delicious cakes or candies and they put a lot of sugar in their juices.
The junk food is more expensive than healthy food but the media manipulation is very strong.

This old song is about the power of advertising:

Geração Coca-Cola
Quando nascemos fomos programados
A receber o que vocês
Nos empurraram com os enlatados dos USA, de 9 às 6.

Desde pequenos nós comemos lixo
Comercial e industrial
Mas agora chegou nossa vez
Vamos cuspir de volta o lixo em cima de vocês.

Somos os filhos da revolução
Somos burgueses sem religião
Somos o futuro da nação
Geração Coca-Cola.

Depois de vinte anos na escola
Não é difícil aprender
Todas as manhas do seu jogo sujo
Não é assim que tem que ser?

Vamos fazer nosso dever de casa
E aí então, vocês vão ver
Suas crianças derrubando reis
Fazer comédia no cinema com as suas leis.

Somos os filhos da revolução
Somos burgueses sem religião
Somos o futuro da nação
Geração Coca-Cola
Geração Coca-Cola
Geração Coca-Cola
Geração Coca-Cola.

Depois de vinte anos na escola
Não é difícil aprender
Todas as manhas do seu jogo sujo
Não é assim que tem que ser?

Vamos fazer nosso dever de casa
E aí então, vocês vão ver
Suas crianças derrubando reis
Fazer comédia no cinema com as suas leis.

July 26, 2015

Hello Elle, Im brazilian and I can tell you that fruits, vegetable, rice and beans is not expensive here, so a lot of person change this for junk food, so we have about 220 millions of people and we have other side, that person that take care about your health, so its not interesting to show on tv, most of prefer show fat people, thats true and real, but more important that , food here is cheap , example :

Number 1 of MCdonalds is about U$0,8 and with this money you buy 1kg potatos, one piece of lettuce,watercress, 1 kg of rice, 1 kg of beans, 1kg of orange and take change. But if you don wanna to cook, you can find that here we call PF (Prato feito ) ...some like a complete meal with rice, beans, tomatos or lettuce in the same dish.

Best Regard

Orlando Santos

September 30, 2015

Brazil is a big country and here are rich people and poor people, it is true that in some places people do not have access to some food or water. In north and northeast from Brazil, many people are really poor while in southeast and South has a lot of rich people. Idk if i wrote it correctly but i wonder you'll understand. ;) 

August 8, 2015
Show more