Kiyomi Ogawa 小川清美
Professional Teacher
Learning Article : Why Katakana May Be More Important Than You Think

Discuss the Article : Why Katakana May Be More Important Than You Think

<a href='/article/493/why-katakana-may-be-more-important-than-you-think' target='_blank'>Why Katakana May Be More Important Than You Think</a>

The Japanese language uses three different writing systems: hiragana, kanji and katakana. Each is used for a different purpose. While many students focus on learning the first two, this article will explain the importance of learning katakana as well.

Jul 22, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 5

Indeed. I have noticed it while "reading" (I am too bad, shoshinsha desu) natives' content, watching movies, anime, playing video games.

December 5, 2015

Great article! Without katakana, it is so difficult to understand menus, movie titles, and many other things! I think it should also be noted that not all the words written in katakana are Japanese or English. German, French, and Portuguese and other languages have also become Japanese words, such as アルバイト (German), マロン (French), and パン (Portuguese). 

August 31, 2015

I also find this post very interesting and informative. I just found out i culd order a cup of hot cofee. I wonder what is the transcription in Katakana for espresso coffee? Could you please be so kind and write it? I do hope one can get espresso in Japan?  Be well.

July 29, 2015

Very interesting article. I learned katakana before any kanji and before starting to learn grammar/vocabulary, but this article... reading those many things in katakana made my head explode haha, I guess I gotta go and practise more my katakana

July 24, 2015

我可以教你中文,wechatID:kq920214

December 5, 2015