Dana
Finnish cinema

Hi everyone! Does Finland have any good directors? The only one I know is Aki Kaurismäki, but I've never watched any of his films since they're quite hard to find. I would be interested interested in watching them in the original language and with english subtitles, as I don't know anything about the spoken language yet.
Talking about animation films: I've grown up with the Moomins! Love them, they're so cute :) 

Do you have any suggestions? If it can be of any help, here there are listed some of my favourites films: https://mubi.com/users/6309415/favourites
If you don't know what to suggest me, but you know a foreigner movie about Finland or set in this beautiful country, please write it anyway!

Kiitos! 

Jul 22, 2015 8:37 PM
Comments · 9

Hi! I don't really know about Finnish directors, but I can tell you which Finnish movies are my personal favourites. Not sure if they can be found online though... If you can find them on dvd they often also have English subtitles! Anyway my favourite Finnish movies:

Korkein oikeus (Inner Trial)

Napapiirin sankarit (Lapland Odyssey)

Pitkä kuuma kesä

Menolippu Mombasaan (One-Way Ticket to Mombasa)

Äideistä parhain (Mother of Mine)

Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning (This is actually a Star Trek parody, but in Finnish!)

If you want to watch a true classic that every Finn should have seen, then watch one of these movies that are both based on famous Finnish books:

Tuntematon Sotilas aka The Unknown Soldier (There are two movies, one from 1955 and the other from 1985)

Täällä Pohjantähden alla aka Under the North Star (Also two versions, the older from 1968 and the newer from 2009 & 2010)

September 11, 2015
Aku Louhimies ;)  He is just out with his latest film which is a new version of a Finnish classic called Tuntematon Sotilas (Unknown solder) - apparently it has broken all box office records.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4065552/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 ;
November 21, 2017

I second Renny Harlin (Die Hard 2, Cliffhanger).

Not exactly chick-flicks, but might be movies you have seen or at least heard of.

Edit: but as you realise, those are Hollywood movies. not really good for learning Finnish.

June 1, 2016

You can find easily the "Lights at the dusk" from Aki, with English subtitles, it's a good one to practice.

October 26, 2015

Hi,

Aki Kaurismäki has a brother Mika Kaurismäki and they directed a documentary <em>Saimaa-ilmiö</em> aka <em>The Saimaa Gesture</em>. This film is Finnish classic music documentary. Here is one clip from this movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cbA1JslCqo

It was first film by Aki and Mika according to wikipedia. Mika Kaurismäki has also directed many other movies too.

There is also following film directors like:

Aku Louhimies who directed<em> 8-pallo</em>,<em> Paha maa</em> and <em>Vuosaari</em>,

Klaus Härö who directed <em>Uusi ihminen</em>, <em>Miekkailija</em>, <em>Postia pappi Jaakobille</em> and <em>Äideistä parhain</em>, this film Sara mentioned before,

Jörn Donner,

Pirjo Honkasalo who is mostly documentary filmmaker,

Virpi Suutari who is documentary filmmaker,

Aleksi Mäkelä who directed <em>Häjyt</em> and <em>Matti</em>,

Joonas Berghäll and Mika Hotakainen are documentary filmmakers and they directed <em>Miesten vuoro</em> aka <em>Steam of Life</em> which contains only half-naked men and animals therefore it isn't my favourite film,

Katja Gauriloff is documentary filmaker,

Maarit Lalli who directed <em>Kohta 18</em>,

Markku Pölönen who directed <em>Badding</em>,

Johanna Vuoksenmaa who directed <em>Nousukausi</em> and <em>21 tapaa pilata avioliitto</em>,

Selma Vilhunen is short film director and

Renny Harlin :) .

September 26, 2015
Show more