Heba
Is your language less popular than the one you are learning?

What should you do if your native language, the language that you offer in a language exchange, is less popular in the language you are learning and subsequently there are more people, like you, trying to contact the natives of the language you are learning than the other way around?

Jul 23, 2015 6:26 PM
Comments · 5

The simple solution is to learn with a teacher.

The more complicated solution is to get organised, make a plan, gather any material we can find and study regularly and hard to make the best of what few exchanges we get to arrange.

July 23, 2015

Well, if you are really good in a second language you speak you can offer that to novice students. For example if you are really good in English and you want to learn Chinese, you can offer Chinese novice learners help. But many people just want to talk to native speakers so, it does not always help.

Also you can practise with fellow students that learn the same language. You won't get corrected, but you will get used to speak the language without hesitations.

But the best thing would be to pay the money and get a teacher. If you have the money of course.

July 23, 2015

Engage in conversations with people that are not exclusively learning your native language. Several people here, myself included, are delighted just to talk in their own language with people from different countries, even if there isn't a 50/50 language exchange happening.

July 23, 2015

watch lots of american tv serieses and movies with english subtitles, get a dictionary and try to speak after the actors.

July 23, 2015

Heba, if you mean English then I wouldn't worry too much.  Having spoken to you a few times, I can't honestly say that your English is near perfect.

July 28, 2015