Mark
Professional Teacher
Learning Article : For Music Lovers: 15 Useful Words And Phrases For Talking About Music In English

Discuss the Article : For Music Lovers: 15 Useful Words And Phrases For Talking About Music In English

<a href='/article/496/for-music-lovers-15-useful-words-and-phrases-for-talking-about-music-in-english' target='_blank'>For Music Lovers: 15 Useful Words And Phrases For Talking About Music In English</a>

British people have a real passion for music and love to talk about the latest songs they have heard. As a result, there are many informal ways to talk about music that are commonly used in everyday speech. This article will present and explain 15 informal words and phrases for describing music which you are not likely to find in your English textbooks.

Jul 27, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 39
As a native Englishman of 22, I have to say "sick tune", "anthem" and "banger" are all bad phrases to use. They sound very lad-ish. A certain type of young slightly obnoxious guy. These are things they say and are not common colloquial speech among adults or even teenagers.

Be wary if you do use them because it will really alter the way you come across to other people, and it most definitely isn't in a good manner. I'd also point out a lot of this information here is antiquated. Almost no one speaks this way. Unless they're old and trying to recapture their youth.

Personally I slightly take issue that this is being portrayed as the way we British speak English. This is definitely a small minority.

March 25, 2018
wow it's really a useful introduction. thanks so much
November 2, 2016

Awesome!! It helps so much to kinda music lover like me,thank u so so much!

October 12, 2015

If you come to America don't say the work "tune," it sounds like something old people say. 

July 30, 2015

Thanks for sharing the link

July 27, 2015
Show more