Laurine
The Lord of the Rings

Hi there!

For some weeks, I've been reading the Tolkien's book: The Lord of The Rings, and I just adore it!

I started this conversation in order to talk about it.

Personally, I begun with the P.Jackson's movie.

What do you prefer: book or movie? What about "The Hobbit" ? Which character do you prefer?

If you're interested in Middle-Earth, off you go: share your opinion!

Bye ! xx

Jul 27, 2015 5:59 PM
Comments · 9

I prefer the books. The first time I read <em>The Lord of the Rings</em> was in 1964, when it was available only in hardbound. Enthusiasm for the work was starting to spread through the Boston college community.

I was warned that <em>The Hobbit</em> wasn't as good as <em>The Lord of the Rings</em>, but that I had to read it first. I thought <em>The Hobbit</em> was OK, but not great. It had the "talking down to children" tone of voice. When I started reading <em>The Fellowship of the Ring</em>, I was hooked. I don't remember how long it took me to read them, but I do remember that for as long as it took, I lived for the hours each day that I had time to read. I had a summer job and I resented all the hours I had to spend not reading them.

I had gotten them from the public library because I couldn't afford them, but as soon as I read them I decided I couldn't live without them and bought them anyway--in hardbound--even though I couldn't afford them. I still have them.

I was also thrilled by them because some years before, I'd read C. S. Lewis' space trilogy, and in one of them he refers to "Numinor" [sic] and says "Those who would like to learn further about Numinor and the True West must (alas!) await the publication of much that still exists only in the MSS. of my friend, Professor J. R. R. Tolkien." 

July 28, 2015

I saw the words "Lord of the Rings" and had to reply. Usually, I prefer the book over the movie, but in this case, I loved them both.

They should have Elvish as a language on italki!

July 27, 2015

Laurine, I wish you attended my school in 90's. It would suddenly make you older, but anyway, it was a nice school. really nice.

And it some moment a good half of the school turned into.. what is called 'tolkinists' here.

which means - guys and girls, who gather in forest to fight with wooden swords, pretend (and sometimes believe) that they are elves (or others), and compose songs:)

July 27, 2015

All great questions! So glad you're loving it! I personally prefer the books but then they've been with me all my life and it's not to say I don't like the films, I think Peter Jackson did an amazing job with all of them!

I don't live in England anymore but I only need to read a few pages of Tolkien's works to be whisked away back to the village I grew up in and recall fond memories of life in what essentially was my very own personal "Shire". Favourite character from the Hobbit? Smaug for sure!

July 27, 2015

Dan Smith, i read the hobbit when I was 6) It was fine.

I read LotR when I was 12, and i perfectly remember timing. I was 'living for the hours' as well, which means I slept (once) and ate (twice or something). Specifically I ate draniki.

So it took two days, and it was the thickest book I ever read.

July 28, 2015
Show more