Jay
What's your favorite English accent?

I've traveled quite often and lived in different countries and my accent is a combination of a few I think. I found out that each English accent has some peculiarity in it. In Thailand or Indonesia, you'll hear the exaggerated pidgin in an attempt to simplify the communication. In Oz, the last part of the sentence is usually tilted up. Irish sings songs. Scottish? Well, watch Lord of the Rings. And I always think of crime films when I hear Boston/New York accent. 

Here are my top 3 favorites:

1. French (Interestingly, when French people speak English, they create this otherworldly accent only they can do)

2. Australian 

3. 3 are tied: Scottish, Irish, and the Southern Drawl (American accent in Southern U.S.)

What's yours?

Jul 27, 2015 11:34 PM
Comments · 27

@loong loong thanks! I thought those expressions in singlish were malay and not cantonese. Good to know!

July 28, 2015

I actually really like the New Zealand accent :)

July 27, 2015

Well, first of all this film is the only instance where I have ever heard that expression used. It's meant to be a funny throwaway comment. You often hear things in films and on TV that people don't actually say in real life.

Second of all, consider what the meaning of the phrase is. It means to save your breath for something useful, because what you are saying isn't of interest/isn't important. So he is telling them to stop talking in a passive aggressive way, and he is not being polite. I don't imagine you'd want to convey that meaning very often.

July 28, 2015

Well, if you like the kiwi accent...

WARNING: View at your own discretion, content may be misinterpreted as misappropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkmeoYKYctw

July 28, 2015

Indian accent and Caribbean accent

July 28, 2015
Show more