Elena Ann⭐Adult/Kids
Professional Teacher
Sleeplessness 失眠

Recently I've been sleeping poorly, and insomnia is causing me a lot of discomfort, so I would like to discuss this topic with you. Do you sleep well? Do you often suffer from sleeplessness? What do you think causes your insomnia? What stresses or pain do you have? What have you tried to do to improve the quality of your sleep?

最近失眠很严重,失眠给我带来了很多痛苦,所以我想跟大家讨论这个话题。你的睡眠质量好吗? 你常常失眠吗? 你觉得是什么引起你失眠的? 失眠给你带来什么麻烦或者痛苦?你尝试过什么办法改善你的睡眠质量?

Jul 28, 2015 12:49 AM
Comments · 8

I have gone through periods of very bad sleeplessness in my life. Often, at these times, I have found myself using my time in bed to think of all the things, often long in the past, that I have done that were bad mistakes, big embarrassments, big failures. I would punish myself by reliving the pain and loss and embarrassment over and over.

What did I do to fix my problem? Partly, I just survived. Getting older helps. Mostly, I learned to forgive myself for my past failures. I try to concentrate on life now, hour-by-hour, one day at a time, one foot in front of the other, step by step. To some extent, medications have helped.

I have learned to improve the place and way I sleep. I make sure it's dark and safe. I play comforting sounds very softly all night long to mask out the sounds that otherwise would distract and disturb me. I wrap myself tightly and warmly. I try to avoid having potential sleep interruptions around. I don't go bed before I'm sleepy, and I don't read in bed. I exercise for the pleasure and stress relief it brings me. Exercise has been a great help to me in starting a "virtuous cycle" in my life.

Mostly, I just have learned to become kinder to myself, and more self-forgiving. I have at the same time become more forgiving and kinder to others. I see pieces of myself in everybody else, and it brings me closer to understanding and empathizing with them. I understand now that these things I feel inside myself, I have in common with the rest of humanity, are part of being human.

Are there any magic answers to sleeplessness or insomnia? I don't think so. When I work out something is making me feel bad, I try to fix it, or leave it behind. If something makes me feel good, I do more of it. I try to become sensitive to what is keeping me awake. I talk with it. I have a conversation with it. I try to find out what it wants. Then I try to accept it, forgive it, change it or else leave it behind me.

July 28, 2015

hello elena,

i wanted to write many things here, but i dont think i could write better than mr.andrew donald. what he said is perfect.

as for me i am under stress currently and i am not able to sleep like a baby as i used to sleep before but i use it in a positive way. i dont waste time in 'trying to fall asleep', i just keep studying and keep my self busy till my body [brain actually] gives up and really wants to sleep.

hope you feel better.

July 28, 2015

I read all the comments here and feel I must add this:

1) Exercize everyday. In morning or noon is better. Not before bed.

2) Remove all distractions in bedroom; especially TV and computer, and cellphone.

3) Eat supper earlier, at least 3 hours before bedtime.

Try self-hypnosis.  It could help. 

Only as a LAST resort, try sleep medication.  No longer than 7 days!

May 23, 2016

1)有压力

2)饮食不规律

3)缺乏身体锻炼

4)从不抽烟

July 31, 2015

You may sleep better by 

-Exercising (particularly running) in the early evening to exhaust your body

-Daily meditation to keep your mind quiet when you go to bed

-Following a routine where you wake up and go to bed at the same time every day, to train your body to automatically react to those hours

As a last resort

-Taking melatonin, a hormone that makes you sleep

August 20, 2015
Show more