Николай
What means it?

A moment ago I read a new joke:

" A woman carrying a baby gets on a bus. As she pays the fare, the bus driver looks at the baby and says, 'Ugh! Lady, that’s absolutely the ugliest baby I’ve ever seen.'

The woman is fuming. Still carrying the baby, she walks back toward the rear of the bus, finds an empty seat and sits down.

She says to a man sitting next to her, 'The bus driver was terribly rude to me when I got on. I’ve never been so insulted in all my life! I’ve got half a mind to tell him off.'

The man says, 'And that’s what you should do. Don’t let him get away with insulting you. Walk right up there and let him know how you feel. Go ahead, I’ll hold your monkey for you.' "

What means into Russian the sentence "I’ve got half a mind to tell him off." ???? "Я не знала, что ему ответить."?, or different?

Jul 28, 2015 6:03 AM
Comments · 6

This is one of my favourite jokes ;D

I remember that I added it once to a funny jokes discussion, so in case you would like to read more and laugh, here is the link to that discussion:

http://www.italki.com/discussion/75734

Enjoy (,")

July 28, 2015

What does it mean? ("What means it?" is a mistake. Remember the question forms!)

We use "to have half a mind to (do something)" to mean "to think about (doing something)".

"To tell someone off" means to reprimand or scold someone.

July 28, 2015

If you have half a mind to do something, you haven't decided to do it, but are thinking seriously about doing it. People also use 'In two minds'.

A policeman in the big city stops a man in a car with a monkey in the front seat. "What are you doing with that monkey?" He exclaimed, "You should take it to the zoo." The following week, the same policeman sees the same man with the monkey again in the front seat, with both of them wearing sunglasses. The policeman pulls him over. "I thought you were going to take that monkey to the zoo!" The man replied, "I did. We had such a good time we are going to the beach this weekend!"

July 28, 2015

Thank you for funny joke :) I am laughing now.

July 28, 2015

Thank everyone, it's clear now for me.

July 28, 2015
Show more