Daniel
Book recommendations for an English learner, please

My English level is intermediate. I'm interested in classic literature, history and philosophical books. I like Tolstoy writings, but those are very hard to understand in English for me. Could anyone recommend me few books? I know Penguin Readers, I want something else.

Jul 28, 2015 2:40 PM
Comments · 6

I find that Bill Bryson gives you gives you quick reward, because he provides opportunity to laugh every few phrases.

"A short history of nearly everything" is a nice book, there's a lot of the history of science in it.

July 28, 2015

Well, once you are on intermediate level, you should start reading non-simplified books. That's my opinion. Of course it'll give you a hard time at the beginning, but that's the sign you're learning after all.

July 28, 2015

Hi Dani, 

You could try some historical fiction - it's very popular in England and there are lots of authors that write novels set in a hitorical period and they're usually written in fairly straightforward language. Some authors I've enjoyed are Philippa Gregory, Daphne du Maurier, Alison Weir (she also writes non fiction). There are lots. Bernard Cornwell is very popular too.

If you want to try classic literature, perhaps some short stories? Charles Dickens wrote quite a few. I really like MR James as well, who wrote ghost stories. And on the subject of scary things, Dracula (by Bram Stoker) is also very readable.

Hope that helps!

July 28, 2015

Hey, I am not native but I can suggest some books have been useful for me. I think A series of unfortunate events of Lemony Snicket is a great saga for English language students because it's a lot of fun and the author has a really educational writing style. For instance, while reading the books you will find that the narrator says  repeatdly"... a word that here means..." 

I also consider The graveyard book of Neil Gaiman to be an awesome book for beginners. 

And that's what I wanted to say, hahaha. Bye:)

July 28, 2015

As you mentioned, classic literature could be a good choice. This is also suggested by my English professor. Some of them are difficult to read, but some are not. I recommend Bible, Pride and Prejudice and Oliver Twist. But in the long term, I suggest you try to read some difficult ones.

July 28, 2015
Show more