Raycie
What do people in English-speaking countries think of the Filipino accent?

I'm a Filipina and is just curious... :)

Jul 29, 2015 4:50 AM
Comments · 7

The lack of an 'f' consonant and the confusion over 'f' and 'p' is something that sounds odd to us when Filipino people speak English.

English-speakers are used to hearing non-natives who, for example, can't distinguish between 'i' and 'ee' (slip and sleep) or 'u' and 'a' (cup and cap) or 'th' and d (then and den). These are problems that are common to speakers of many different first languages. We expect a non-native to say something that sounds more like 'spik' instead of 'speak' or 'de' instead of 'the', so we know to make an allowance for these pronunciation errors. But the 'f' and 'p' issue comes as something of a surprise to English speakers the first time we hear a Filipino person speak.

July 29, 2015

It sounds a little hispanic to me.

November 25, 2015

I love it. Both Philippines and Singapore accents are delightful to listen to. It's still a little difficult to understand, it has a different rhythm that I'm not used to.

I don't think people are supposed to have one unified accent in the world, so I always welcome those idiosyncrasies.

July 29, 2015

yes Su.Ki. the f and the p just as the v and the b. 

Funny to hear fost-oppice instead of post office.. ;)

November 24, 2015

I also love different accents around the world and I think it adds to the richness of our civilisation. The Pinoy accent is quite nice to listen to even if it is a little difficult to understand some speakers. 

November 25, 2015
Show more