Souhaa
japanese people get offended ?

do japanese people get offended if you don't or can't speak their language correctly ?

earlier when I was scrolling through a discussion I read that japanese people do not like to talk in english because they are afraid to say something wrong and that would make the native speaker angry !

Jul 29, 2015 11:13 PM
Comments · 10

Hi there, 

I'm Japanese and I never get offenced if the learners don't speak Japanese correctly because "leraners" mean people who are learning and making errors is quite normal. My English is still owful, especially I speak it but I don't feel embarrassed when I make a lot of errors, practicing is necessary to learn language(s). 

However, I think it depends on the person. There are so many who feel embarrassed if they make only a few mistakes in their English because depending on the generation, we were taught that "doing correctly is normal, making mistakes is bad". In my opinion, there is a big cultural difference behind.

Anyway, here is the place we learn, so you don't have to be afraid of making mistakes.

Please enjoy learning!

Best. 

July 30, 2015

Hello, 

I've been wondering the same thing, if japanese people will become offended if we can't speak there language correctly. I think in all cultures it depends on the person, but recently in the past 2-3 months, I found a few Youtube channels, of these people called Jvloggers (So Video Blogs in Japan) Where there are Foreigners in Japan. They are often in Situations where sometimes they make mistakes or misprounouce things, or have a funny accent. Sometimes a Japanese person will get offended, sometimes a japanese person will stare, sometimes they will pretend nothing happened at all. 

Seeing as I'm not Japanese, I'm not sure if this helps answer your question but I'll give you the names of some good youtube users on youtube if you want to check them out. They have some good videos about Japan. And Foreigner and Japanese interaction, some of it is funny, some of it is culture shock but I find it really informative, and it might just help answer your question, they do some language videos every now and again too. 

Rachel & Jun

Abroadin Japan

emilylouisemaitland エミリーちゃん ♡

kanadajin3

Sharla in Japan

Texan in Tokyo

I hope this helps (if your wondering, there is many many more channels like this on youtube)

July 31, 2015

It's true to some extent Japanese people hasitate to speak English for fear of mistake, and that stems from their shyness or modesty, I think.

But they hardly ever offend non-native people trying to speak japanese, even if they speak incorrect or clumsy, or rather they might approve the people's speaking Japanese TOO much.

Cheers from Tokyo!

July 31, 2015

Glad to hear you say that KIRI san :) I "ll be learning as much as I can !

cheers from TUNISIA :)

July 31, 2015

hi bethany :)

I know that there must be differences between cultures that's why

I was asking the question, because I ve never been in japan before so I couldn't tell if it was a cultural or a personal point of view ..

thank you for the youtube channels , I am subscribed to rachel and jun already but I only check the others from time to time when ever I am not busy

July 31, 2015
Show more