Andi
Google Translate can now translate street signs in 27 languages

The Google Translate app for smartphones can now translate street signs in 27 languages, just by taking a photo of the sign. For those of us who travel and need to understand directions, parking regulations, public transport, or other types of signs this will probably be a wonderful development. 

At present the app can translate between English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Filipino, Finnish, Hungarian, Indonesian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Romanian, Slovak, Swedish, Turkish and Ukrainian.

It can also do one way translations from Hindi and Thai.

I can't wait to try this out, and I hope they'll soon add other languages. Which language would you like them to add?

Read more here:

http://www.iol.co.za/business/companies/google-beefs-up-translation-tool-1.1892957#.VboV99Wqqko

Jul 30, 2015 12:23 PM
Comments · 2

Yeah, that would be awesome, Camilo. I have always wanted to visit more Asian nations, but learning all of their languages would be very difficult for me. 

Imagine being in a city like Shanghai and able to have all the text you see translated :) 

July 30, 2015

Maybe those languages that don't use the Latin alphabet like Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hebrew, Russian. It would be great to take a picture of the label of a food product or the menu of a restaurant and to get it translated.

July 30, 2015