Sven
How to make this easier.

We have talked about the fear that keeps many people here from starting a new conversation in a language they are learning.  I think it is possible to create a program to make it easier for beginners. I am thinking about something like a set dialog that both persons practice speaking before the conversation - this would reduce the fear of mistakes.  Then they have a call and speak their lines (as if in a play).  Maybe there could be a series of these to establish some comfort. Maybe then they write their own "script".   Any ideas?

Jul 30, 2015 2:17 PM
Comments · 5

That's a very good idea, Sven!

One of my german language parteners also suggested me to read a text in front of him. This way, this person is pointing out your pronunciation mistakes, you're not put under stress by the fear of not coming up with words and it makes you discover new words :)

July 30, 2015

It might be just me..but personally I think that overcoming the fear of making mistakes and putting yourself out there is all part of learning a language. You can feel yourself progressing in this way, as you develop confidence and spontaneity. 

July 30, 2015

Andrew: I agree....  for me, but a lot of people are not overcoming the fear.

Spangola: I like it!  After the scripted discussion, the new words could be used for improv discussion. But not for beginners... gotta be simple and low level vocab.

More ideas folks?

July 30, 2015

It will not work as you think it should. Why? ...still too much information for the brain to focus on. I know what works. It's easy and simple. Just speak with your teacher about a topic without making any correction. Just speak as you can, no correction, no focus on grammar, no focus on pronunciation, just speak as you can.

July 30, 2015

I like the sound of that idea Boub.

Oh my God! I just had a great idea. How about producing arguments about topical issues such as climate change. For example, I could produce an argument about why we should be doing more to combat climate change and my partner could produce one about why we shouldn't worry about it so much. There are a few upsides to this idea:

1) You don't have to actually agree with your argument; you're just practicing your target language.

2) You don't have to come up with words on the spot, you would just be reading off a page/screen.

3) Your partner can just sit there and listen taking note of any grammatical/pronunciation errors you make, and letting you know about them at the end, so you're getting actionable feedback after every session.

4) You can write your argument in both your native and your target language, so you get to practice your listening as well. 

5) You could agree to correct each other's arguments using the Notebook feature, and possibly receive alternative corrections.

And finally 6) Everybody likes an argument :D

What do you all think?

July 30, 2015