María
I have fear to improve my English in front a lot of people, How can I overcome more quickly?
Jul 31, 2015 10:31 AM
Comments · 20

I think almost every non-native English speaker fears speaking English in front of audiences especially native speakers at first, and I suggest you should have a positive mindset and don't be afraid of making mistakes and asking 'stupid' questions!

This is how I dealt with this: I understand that when we are in English countries, I have to speak English with people cuz it's their native language! Interestingly, when English people come to China, we are used to speaking English with them! so unfair! it's my place! and I say you need to go to learn some basic Chinese!  

So, when I was in Britain, I took every chance to talk to native people in English! who cares! I am a non-native, so I dare to make mistakes and ask questions to native friends, and actually they are quite helpful and they are tolerant with these mistakes! 

All in all, my advice will be, talk talk talk!!!

: ) 

July 31, 2015

NOTE: the word "advice" is uncountable (like the word 'information'), therefore it does not have a plural form.

Here is a fun game to play:

http://ww2.college-em.qc.ca/prof/epritchard/

Click on "A(n) or Nothing: Count/Non-count Words: Flash Quiz 1 Quiz 2 Quiz 3 Quiz 4"

Click on the Flash quizzes

July 31, 2015

I agree with Amanda... Just do it and don't worry.

I have travelled to many countries and I always try to learn some of their language... just simple expressions.

When I talk to them in their language, they smile.

Of course they smile, my accent sounds funny, my pronunciation sounds funny, BUT they like me because I am trying to speak their language, even if I make a million mistakes.

Also,

My English is good and your Spanish is good, so we are equal.

Your English is better than my Spanish.

So, who is better at second languages? ... You are.

Nunca dejar de intentarlo.

July 31, 2015

Hello Maria.

You need to think about learning English as something you enjoy doing and not as a task with correct or incorrect statements, or expressions or grammar. Try to take the mechanistic aspect out of it. Once it becomes an activity and you give yourself freely into it with your heart, you will not think about being judged, or errors, or anything like that. These concepts will not be your focus. I know it sound kind of hard but If you love the language you can do it.  

In addition it has already been mentioned and I agree with it, that people do not judge learners. Communication makes everyone happy and the effort is always appreciated and admired. So you will be appreciated and admired and that is a good thing right ?  People will love talking to you, and I am sure once you find a few nice language partners you will have a great time as well. Be a bit patient and keep at it.

Good luck.

July 31, 2015
It can be useful to talk to yourself first, and then to a non-native English speaker, so you don't feel uncomfortable if you happen to make a mistake. Then, after gaining enough confidence, you can talk to native speakers. But don't worry, making mistakes is a natural part of the language learning process and many native speakers make mistakes in their own languages too.
July 31, 2015
Show more