Beck
English (USA) Honorifics ?!?!? (英語 敬語 ?!?!?!)

Since most learning from me are Japanese, I thought I'd give an introduction of the English version of Honorifics and their proper usage. I got a message saying <em>"Are there any? I heard there are none but also some??? Help me!!"</em> And I figured I'd make a post about it!

I know many have probably explained this, but I thought I'd post this anyway (LOL) Sorry for any repitition. 

Japanese are known for their usage of honorifics! If you mess these up, its a big mistake. If you call an old man '-chan/ちゃん' you will get a weird look! (LOL)

For example:

San - さん
Sama - さま
Kun - くん
Chan - ちゃん
Senpai - せんぱい

The list goes on! In Japan there are many titles for every rank, relation, age, and status. In English (I am referring to USA English, I can't speak for British English) There are only a few, and they are less specific.

In school or work settings, these are expected. You are seen as VERY respectful if you use them outside of these settings, as they aren't necessary.

---

Teacher: You ALWAYS call a teacher MR.___ or Mrs.___ unless they ask otherwise. Some teachers say to just call them by their first name, but unless they say its ok, using MR/MRS is mandatory.
--(For Example, I had a male teacher whose name was 'Brian Matthew' and traditionally, I'd call him Mr.Matthew, but he said to call him 'Brian'.)

Boss: Similar to teachers, it depends on what they want. It's safer to start with MR/MRS since its good to give respect but if everyone else calls someone by their 1st name, then you may as well follow what they do..
-- (For example, If John Smith is called 'John' by everyone but you called him 'Mr.Smith' you can just call him John from now on)

If you are friends with someone, you generally don't ever use these. The difference between USA-English titles and Japanese is that in the USA, if you are close to someone, no title is needed. You don't call your friend 'Mr/Mrs'. That's strange. If you become close friends with a teacher/boss, they may say 'Oh, just call me by my first name' 

None: You don't add anything for a friend, no matter age, relation, or status.

Mr.: (Pronounced: Miss-tur) Used toward a male boss, male teacher, a friends male parent (this one isn't necessary, if you call your friends parents by their name, its not bad. but adding Mr. can be extra respectful) or another male person of high status.

Sir.: <em>(Pronounced: Surr)</em> This is used vaguely for a man. You don't use this with a name. This is usually with respect. If you call a random stranger 'sir' its VERY respectful, but not very common. This is more with a boss/teacher.
--Example: "Sir, I think you look good today" "Sir, I think you dropped something!" "Sir, thank you for this!"

Mrs: <em>(Pronounced: Miss)</em> This is the title for a married boss, female married teacher, or a friends female parent (of course, not necessary with the parent).

Miss: <em>(Pronounced: Miss)</em> This is a more general title for a woman. If you dont know if this person is married, call them Miss. If they say 'Miss' it means they may or may not be married, or don't care. (LOL). If you do not know a woman's name but need her attention, it's polite to say Miss.
<em>-- Example: A woman drops her wallet, you get her attention by saying 'Miss! You dropped this!'</em>

Ms.:<em> (Pronounced: Mizz): </em>A title for a woman who isn't married that's a teacher/boss.

<em>
</em>

Ma'am <em>(Pronounced: Mam)</em>: This is the most general female title, you do not use this with a name. This is more if you are asking a question, getting attention, etc. You generally use this with respect and usually if you're a stranger.
-- Example: "Ma'am, Is this the color red?" "Ma'am, a cat is chasing you!" "Ma'am, I love your jacket!"

Dr. <em>(Pronounced: Dock-tur)</em>: Used toward a person with a PHD. A psychologist, a doctor, or psychiatrist may be a Dr.  Used for man OR woman, both are ok.

Aug 2, 2015 6:12 PM