Robson Souto
Helping people... In your opinion, which is more important: "give a man a fish or teach him how to fish?"

There is a famous proverb that says: "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

It was the topic of a discussion during an English class some months ago and I'd love to know the point of view from different cultures in the world...

What do you think about it?

Aug 2, 2015 10:50 PM
Comments · 7

answer to this question cant be straight forward. the answer will be multi-layered.

it seems obvious that we should teach people to earn bread, rather than giving them ready-made bread. but then what happens is those people DONT want to earn bread, they want to get ready to eat stuff. they dont want to work hard. so when the time comes when we need their support, their support will be with the those who gave them ready made bread, not with those who tried to teach them to earn bread.

there are lots of these 'people' in india [and probably in the entire world too] and politicians are taking benefit from it. Everybody looks happy, but in the end country goes into reverse gear and everybody loses.

August 3, 2015

I think it depends on the situation. For example if the man is too weak to catch fish, I can't teach them yet, so I will give the fish first. After the man is strong enough, I will teach them how to catch fish so they can do that theirself for the rest of their life.

I think it will be make more sense.

August 3, 2015

I think that theaching to fish is a great idea even more if you sell fishing pole! 

OK. Sorry.

August 2, 2015

I think it should be both, give the fish in the short term and do some training in fishing. If they are hungry then they would not have much energy to do much, so energy is needed. However for the long-term training in fishing will give people a skill, independence and a living.

I think the other question though would be to ask the community what is needed and brain storm it. They will then come up with their own solutions, as they may already have people who know how to fish! They may however need a more ecological way of fishing or planting crops that is sustainable.

August 3, 2015

I'm anxiously waiting for a leftist Brazilian to come here and opine! ;D

August 3, 2015
Show more