Chandrika Rao
Language Fluency?

How long do you think it takes to become fluent in a language?

I've been taking French at my school for 6 years (going on 7) but I'm nowhere near fluent...I can form sentences slowly and can read pretty well, but that's it.

I'm taking Advanced Placement French next year, and my hope is to get closer to fluency. Any suggestions?

Aug 3, 2015 3:12 AM
Comments · 8

Try to see if your cable/satalite company offers TV5 monde. One of my favorite shows is Des Chiffres et Des Lettres (I'm a sucker for mental math haha) but they also have a lot of other programs and documentaries you might enjoy. If you can't get that, download their app on your phone. Also re-read a relatively simple book you've read in English. I re-read Harry Potter and The Hunger Games in French, since I already knew the storyline I was able to pick up a lot of vocab and grammar from that alone.

August 4, 2015
In your case, based on what you've said, I recommend two things to help you take your language out of the classroom and into real life: 

1. Watch French TV series -- you may find some on YouTube. 

2. Get conversation partners on italki.
August 3, 2015

My experience is similar.  I did 7 years of French (4 in high school, 3 in college) before going to France the first time and realized then that I had a long way to go.  It took a few more long stays in France (several weeks at a time) and serious practice to reach better fluency.  I would suggest a serious conversation partner, French meetup/ clubs, or a regularly scheduled conversation class to build up fluency and confidence.  If you can manage a long stay in a French speaking country, I absolutely recommend that, but it financially may not be an option for you, not to mention the time requirement.  Above all, read, read, read.  It is one of the best ways to develop your language skills.  Bonne Chance!!

August 7, 2015

I am fairly new to French, but I did the grammar lessons bit and I got lost, but I have found a great teacher yesterday who works on the things that interest me and I can communicate in real life role  play settings. I think this suits me it may also work for you and the other suggestions here. I also know that cafes like cafe valerie sometimes offer free conversation classes. There is also meetup.com which has groups for exchanges face to face.

August 3, 2015

Have you read the book from Benny Lewis "Fluent in 3 months"? It can help you with some tips and techniques!

August 9, 2015
Show more